Author Topic: I don't like Apples in Stereo  (Read 4143 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
I don't like Apples in Stereo
« on: March 13, 2007, 02:11:34 PM »
so I was at my girlfriend's house last night and her next door neighbor came over to drink with us. He's this total fucking pothead painter waste and he brought some Apples in Stereo over. I spent the entire night trying to like it, I really did, but it was just so fucking awful. The girl's voice/vocal effects made me want to strangle a kitten, and the music itself was so weak. Never again will I follow other people's recommendations for bands.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: I don't like Apples in Stereo
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 02:16:44 PM »

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
they are the Beatles every shitty hippy band is either the beatles or (FSCK I HATE THE BEATLES) pink floyd. fscking depressing if you ask me. depressing.  >:(

Offline Dr P4nyk

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:50:54 PM »
Comparing that shit to the Beatles is total blasphemy.  The Beatles never souded like whales raping each other.

P4nyk

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
So you don't like apple products, in stereo?

Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
Comparing that shit to the Beatles is total blasphemy.  The Beatles never souded like whales raping each other.

P4nyk

The fifteen seconds of it I listened to sounded more like they wanted to be Oasis, who, to be fair, wanted desperately to be the Beatles.

trevelyn:
1. The Beatles pre-date hippies.

2. You bag on the Beatles and Pink Floyd in the same post?  You're brave.  I'm curious: what kind of music are you generally into?
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 06:07:54 PM »
So you don't like apple products, in stereo?

Raptor, this is why I went from hating you to loving you. You've really blossomed into such a fine young man.
And though it is off-topic. Yes, I do hate most Apple products when dealing with stereo.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 06:13:29 PM »

I listened to a few of their songs and I heard a lot of Beatles in them.  I'm not saying they're good like the Beatles.  But they seem to be at least a little inspired by the Beatles.

I actually recognized one of their songs.  They used to play it on Cartoon Network a few years back to promote Power Puff Girls.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »
hannah met rob schnieder when they toured, they dropped by pittsburgh a few years ago, she said he was a nice guy who was really into the beatles.  i had every one of their cd's when i was in college, i really liked them at one point, but, now i don't see the point.  Have you ever seen those GI JOE spoofs of the public service announcements? if you havent check youtube, but anyways there was this one where this dude was giving this kid advice, and he said not to listen to techno music because it burns a hole in your brain.  i stared listening to trance about 4 years ago, and techno, then i turned to drum and bass.  now that hole has burned into my brain right where i used to like normal music :(  when i *do* listen to music music, i find myself listening to bands like Idaho, Iron and Wine,Doves, Elbow, HUM, Pinback, Red House Painters, Her space holiday, wheat, Yo la tengo, and please.. Dschinghis Khan.  here's one of their music videos! http://zombie.el.cx/videos/hack/moscow%20-%20WEP%20-%20cracking.swf

MOSKAU MOSKAU!!1

post script, i never liked the beatles at all, i tried so hard, man, man, many times, as my friends have tried too, i just can't. I'm sorry for flaming them. 

Offline brokeneckgiraffe

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-15
  • slim noobody
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 07:29:44 PM »
they used to play in lexington all the time, the singer guy is nice, but i don't really like the poppy poopy stuff
i was at one of their shows and i kept yelling "play the hewlet packard song!" because they had a song in an HP commercial for camera printers.
it's a catchy song really, a little tooooooo catchy.
"No is implies an ought" - David Hume

Offline splynt0r

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +19/-10
  • Rip. Sample. Mash. Share
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 11:52:53 PM »
I don't listen to hippie Music......

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 09:47:24 AM »
Update:

Since writing this article, I've realized how much I'm actually exposed to Apples in Stereo. This made me come to the conclusion that the thing I hate most about this band isn't their crappy music, it's their pretentious fans.
Going to a school with fairly large recording arts/technology and visual art departments, I'm in regular contact with some real "artistes" (used very sarcastically). You all probably know the type: mildly talented with a huge ego and no use for formal training/education, which begs the question of why they're in college anyway, but that's beside the point. They're typically of the post-rock school of "Rock is for idiots who need ideas spoon fed to them" but then listen to bands like Apples in Stereo, who do nothing to challenge their fans musically (and only challenge them intellectually if you can delude yourself into thinking that playing every song in the same scale "they made up" [they're using a 9 tone scale common in music since the 1700's]).

So, that's my stance. I don't like Apples in Stereo, but I don't care if they keep making records. That's their choice. I am, however, sick of people trying to spoon feed me this crap telling me it will help me escape from ignorant, untrained musicians trying to spoon feed me misconceptions about good music. FUCK.