Author Topic: Woman says her cell phone was hacked  (Read 9254 times)

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
Woman says her cell phone was hacked
« on: June 07, 2006, 12:46:40 AM »
Jeff Munson, jmunson@tahoedailytribune.com
May 23, 2006

It was Thursday afternoon when Betty Pulido discovered that every time she went to place a call on her cellular phone, she would get kicked off.

A few hours later, when she opened her phone to place a call, she found the unthinkable: Someone was scrolling through her phone and entering numbers as she watched in real time.

As she went to delete them, more numbers would appear, followed by asterisks, she says.

Whoever was on the other end would scroll to different settings and change them, adding the numeral 8 followed by asterisks in patterns of three, four and five.

It happened interactively, Pulido said, for an hour and a half. "Someone was in there and they knew what they were doing," said Pulido, a 35-year South Shore resident. "It was total cat-and-mouse. He's entering. I'm deleting. He goes to another page. I cancel that. He puts in some numbers, I delete the numbers."

Authorities, including the California Attorney General's office, say cellular phone hacking is possible.

Cingular told Pulido the following day that what she was describing was impossible. Pulido told the customer service representative that the impossible was possible because it happened.

"He was definitely a hacker. There is no doubt about it; someone was using my cell phone and I was watching them do it," she said.

On Friday morning at Pulido's request, Cingular changed her phone number. On Monday morning, her cellular service was down again.

Pulido filed a report with the South Lake Tahoe Police on Monday. She fears that a hacker tried to mine information such as telephone numbers or credit card information stored inside her telephone's memory bank.

Cingular spokeswoman Lauren Garner said the wireless company is looking into her charges.

"We are taking her concerns seriously and are taking care of her customer needs as she requested to change her number," Garner said.

Cingular has asked Pulido for the phone so it can investigate the matter. Pulido said she would turn it over to the phone company once authorities investigate the matter and look at the phone themselves.

While law enforcement deals with issues such as hacking and identity theft, Pulido's case may be the first one of its kind, said Teresa Schilling of the California Attorney General's Office.

After speaking with law enforcement technicians, Schilling said hacking can happen to cell phone users if protocols for wireless communication are left vulnerable. Though some doubt Pulido's story, evidence among the technicians points to it being possible.

"There are hackers out there who run through combinations to get in," she said. "I don't think anything is surprising anymore. People need to pay attention and take steps to protect themselves and their personal information."

Schilling encouraged Pulido to speak with the AG's office. Pulido said she would be willing to do so and allow law enforcement technicians to look at the phone.

nice one brad  ;D

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Woman says her cell phone was hacked
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:19:02 AM »
Any ideas on how this was done?  Bluetooth is my guess.  Also I found a website a couple months ago that make eavesdropping software for cell phones.  Apparently it gave you the ability to monitor pretty much everything a cell phone was doing remotely.  Maybe this is similar to that.  Maybe it's a Sub7-like virus for cell phones that nobody knows about yet.  Or maybe the lady is just making it up.  Wonder if she tried just turning off her bluetooth.

Offline TPhreak

• ATHF Nigga!
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-13
  • SA forums!
    • Marijuana Records
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:05:50 AM »
I wonder if the thought to turn the phone off ever corssed her mind in that instance. But it's an awesome idea none the less. *monkey*
*rainbowsmiley* "Hey hey hey, smoke weed every day. - Some black man" *rainbowsmiley*

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 07:51:52 AM »
Any ideas on how this was done?  Bluetooth is my guess.  Also I found a website a couple months ago that make eavesdropping software for cell phones.  Apparently it gave you the ability to monitor pretty much everything a cell phone was doing remotely.  Maybe this is similar to that.  Maybe it's a Sub7-like virus for cell phones that nobody knows about yet.  Or maybe the lady is just making it up.  Wonder if she tried just turning off her bluetooth.

i've thought of a few possibilities

1) Her split personality is f-ing with her.
2) Her sim was cloned (unless its cdma)
3) Her boyfriend is a phreak and he's loving every minute of her demise.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:37:49 AM »
Sounds like BS to me.

It just doesn't seem likely that she would be able to watch the activity being done on her cell phone's display in real-time. Why would changing the settings affect the display?

Unless there's some sort of Remote Desktop-like feature built into her phone (I wonder what model phone she was using, BTW) the only other possibility is what RBCP suggested: some sort of trojan horse remote-admin app like SubSeven, Netbus or Back Orifice.

Which opens up exciting possibilities, if it does exist!

But something about this story arouses my skepticism. For some reason, this brings back the memory of that old story from the mid-90s about a family household that was being terrorized by a hacker:

According to the story, a mysterious hacker had been harassing this one family on a daily basis with constant evil pranks, such as turning on & off their electricity, messing with their phones, prank calling them, etc. The family had called the police, the utility companies and countless other authorities and even had security experts analyze their house. None of these so-called experts could find any possible way that somebody could be pulling off the kinds of pranks they were alleging. Finally, after months of this harrassment (and several stories in the local news media) the truth came out: Their youngest son had been fabricating the story all along, playing around with the light switches, breaker boxes and phones and then pretending to be scared by it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:49:55 AM by Colonel Panic »

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:46:32 AM »
According to the story, a mysterious hacker had been harassing this one family on a daily basis with constant evil pranks, such as turning on & off their electricity, messing with their phones, prank calling them, etc. The family had called the police, the utility companies and countless other authorities and even had security experts analyze their house. None of these so-called experts could find any possible way that somebody could be pulling off the kinds of pranks they were alleging. Finally, after months of this harrassment (and several stories in the local news media) the truth came out: Their youngest son had been fabricating the story all along, playing around with the light switches, breaker boxes and phones and then pretending to be scared by it.

this is probably the more inspiring idea ever.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 10:31:20 AM »
Yeah, that's the story!

"The more I felt I was kissing his butt, the safer I felt."

My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 02:53:11 PM by Colonel Panic »

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-8
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 03:12:35 PM »
I highly doubt it is the "wireless communication protocol" that is exploitable. Think about it. The "hacker" actually used the phone, remotely. Some sort of backdoor feature must have either came with the phone or was installed later on. Cell phone operating systems are usually different for each brand or model, sometimes a slight feature added or removed, other times a completely different OS. Communication protocols don't include standards and information regarding the OS. They regard the actual communication protocols. In other words, the story is B.S. It's the actual cell phone that is flawed, not the protocol! What a great way to falsely scare the public! "Evil ruthless hackers find flaw in 'wireless communications protocol' and can COMPLETELY control your phone! BEWARE! Your credit card info is at EXTREME risk!!!!11%@ one" Yeah, I can picture that being a headline... Damn media-biased, uh, media. I also hate how the media has adapted the word "hacker" to define any criminal committing a crime that involves electronics. Completely ignorant.

And why on Earth would the cops have such intense interest in this? What the hell do cops know about electronics? Nothing. At least not your everyday cop. They real officials would! I've had someone threaten to call the police on me for defacing (ethically) their small Web site, which, by the way, generated no revenue or profit what so ever. The cop continued to do a "investigation". Months later, what has happened? Nothing, It's all B.S.

I wouldn't believe this even for a second, unless I saw a detailed report from the actual manufacturers of the phone or service provider stating, in actual text, that there is some flaw in the protocols we use today.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20060523/NEWS/105230032

She looks crazy to begin with. I am not disagreeing that it is possible to "hack" a cell phone. I don't know for sure if it is or isn't possible. I'm simply saying it isn't the protocols we use today, it's the damn phone! But even this seems incredibly unlikely, actually. Unless the backdoor is using another means of communication, for example Bluetooth, how would the attacker communicate with the cell phone? Even if Bluetooth was used, the distance at which it broadcasts is relatively low. The attacker would have to be within a very low range. Those of you who have sufficient knowledge regarding Bluetooth should know that it wasn't invented to act as a long distance communications protocol. It was made to replace the need of wires...

This will only generate a wave of pointless terror for all of the unknowledgeable users of cell phones. "Oh. My. God! I think it just went to the main menu by it's self! AGHH! C3ll h4x!!!"

That's my view on it :).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 03:33:37 PM by Devilz212 »

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »
i still say it was an inside job, and her sim was cloned. that would explain everything that is happening.

maybe someone cloned it and sold it to someone to use, since her's is activated. that's realistic too. i've bought used sim's before on ebay. used as in cloned.

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-8
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »
i still say it was an inside job, and her sim was cloned. that would explain everything that is happening.

maybe someone cloned it and sold it to someone to use, since her's is activated. that's realistic too. i've bought used sim's before on ebay. used as in cloned.

Even if the SIM was cloned, how would that explain the actual control over the cell phone? I've been able to access my menus, Java applications, etc. even when my SIM card was taken out. Having control over a cell phone doesn't require even getting service. Like I said, it's the operating system.

And why exactly were my karma points subtracted after I posted this? Heh, that is a bit immature, as I wasn't even disagreeing with anyone. I was simply pointing out my opinions and views :).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:16:51 PM by Devilz212 »

z09

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 04:36:35 PM »
It was a remote access system.  If you search google they have them.  He problaly just downloaded it and put it on her phone.

Offline afreak

• Area codes I have had numbers to: 604. 780, 778, 403, 250, 206, 360, 643
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +44/-36
  • Also known as "Alberta"
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 09:54:43 PM »
It was a remote access system.  If you search google they have them.  He problaly just downloaded it and put it on her phone.
Cell phones don't have IPs unless they're connected via EV-DO, 1XRTT, GPRS, blah blah; but even then, it would be possible for the cellular company to get an idea of what source caused this. In order for a remote data session to begin, the phone has to be notified, and if that is the case, then her cell phone company can figure that out.

Chances are that she is either full of shit or that it was done by Bluetooth.

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 12:58:46 AM »
And why exactly were my karma points subtracted after I posted this? Heh, that is a bit immature, as I wasn't even disagreeing with anyone. I was simply pointing out my opinions and views Smiley.

you dont even know me. i havent touched your karma.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 08:02:40 AM »
You can bet your karma is going to take a beating now that you've mentioned it!

Oh BTW, you're absolutely right. It's not a fault with the protocol. It would have to be the cellphone's OS that had been compromised.

Remember Paris Hilton's T-Mobile Sidekick?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/19/AR2005051900711.html