Author Topic: Check out my music  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Legion303

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-4
  • I make lockpicks
Check out my music
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »
http://neutronstar.org/music

Here, eat this spam.

-steve
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:00:48 AM by MattGSX »

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Re: Check out my music
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »
It's well mixed, I'll give you that. The work you put into the drums shows. You managed to vary the samples enough that they don't sound unrealistic, but they don't sound like Fuego's music, where it's "too" real.

I don't, however, like your bass choices or your drone lines. In the first song, that bass has too hard of an attack compared to the rest of the instruments, which are more pad-based. Maybe try the boobass plugin, high bass, 3/4 high/low

Second song - The fuck, dude? If I wanted to listen to movies, I'd listen to movies. Back off on the samples. Good mixing

Third song - That is the cheesiest pad I've ever heard. It's like a bad mix between 80's rock and "Close Encounters". The bass line also makes me want to kill. Sorry. The levels, again, are wonderful, and I'm again impressed by your drum work, but the rest... I don't know. Where the fuck did the arp come from? At least your samples make sense this time, but it sounds too much like fucking Loose Change or something like that.

EDIT: I'm throwing in some of the other songs on the site, now that I've had a chance to listen to them.
Chrono Trigger cover - Fucking sweet. Chrono Trigger has one of my favorite soundtracks, but it always seems to fall into obscurity when compared against the unstoppable juggernaut that is the FF series. Very well mixed, and a very nice choice of instruments. The drums shine like in your other tracks, but I really think the instrument choice and balance is what stands out the best, as well as use of filter effects.
Untitled 41 - Pretty sweet. The offset attack works very well on the piano and gives it a nice, skipping effect. Almost like sort of incidental music.
Neural Net - Again, drums stand out right away. They're big, they're powerful, and they sound real without having to add imperfections to make it overly real. Once again, though, I can't stand that drone that the piece starts with. The whole thing is a little too spacial. With the drums going as 'slowly' as they are, you really need a cohesive, slow melody to tie it together better. Though you have tons of independent lines, you have nothing that stands out as a melody. You take all this time to build up, but all it does is get me pissed because I know it's not really building up to anything.
12th of January - Damnit, my friend. I want to get into your music, I really do. The drums, again, are pretty much wonderful, the levels are fucking perfect. It's just the construction of the melodic material you use, or even the lack thereof.

I'm going to change what I originally said, a bit. I still think that you could do well in 'commercial'-venture music, but, I think you would benefit most from switching music. Back away from electronic music for a while and switch over to writing music carried by melody, not carried by a beat and structure. Classical music is what I'm thinking here. If you can read music, write on manuscript. If you can't read music, learn to do that first. Also, study harmony. The best electronic music has some sort of equilibrium, and that is usually found at least somewhat rooted in the fundamentals of harmony, even if it's a more sequential, 20th century take on harmony.

Well mixed. VERY well mixed. Drums are wonderfully programmed, levels are great, filters are very well thought out, even the structures are logical without being too predictable. But the MUSIC itself isn't that interesting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:38:30 PM by MattGSX »

Offline Legion303

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-4
  • I make lockpicks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, although my original "PIMP PIMP" subject was superior.

The songs on my site cover something like a 10-year span, which will explain why the styles are all over the place (shit, you didn't even get to the guitar stuff yet). The best ones on there right now are probably http://neutronstar.org/music/Steve_Pordon-Chrono_Trigger_(Long_Lost_Sister_mix).mp3 (featuring the drum programming I'm most proud of) and http://neutronstar.org/music/Conjure_One_-_Face_the_Music_(Steve_Pordon_remix).mp3

I haven't seen Loose Change, and my style is too "in your face" for filmmaker Jason Scott, who I pitched my stuff to last year. Or maybe he just hates it. Either way, documentaries probably aren't in my immediate future.

Thanks for listening.

-steve

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 07:37:52 AM »
Shit, there's guitar stuff? I'll make a point of getting to that after I get back home.

As I said, the studio environment would probably suit you well, especially since that gives you the chance to get better with your mixing, gives you access to a studio, and gives you access to studio managers. Jason Scott is a fuck, don't worry about him.

Also, I changed your topic so people can see it and know what it is. This is not a democracy.

Edit: I had a chance to check out the full site. Check my first post for an amended review.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:39:21 PM by MattGSX »