Author Topic: Panic! At the Disco  (Read 23306 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Re: Panic! At the Disco
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 11:56:52 PM »
Part of the reason I don't like them is because they were an engineered band. Have you heard of anyone who knew about Panic! before they became an MTV poster child? I don't know if MTV or their label literally put them together, but their fan base is entirely people who were told to listen to them through marketability.

Offline splynt0r

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +19/-10
  • Rip. Sample. Mash. Share
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 12:57:30 AM »
Pete Doherty Would totally fuck Panic! at the disco, if he wasn't on drugs all day long
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 12:59:46 AM by splynt0r »

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 03:24:56 AM »
Can I have some Alien goo so I can breed a Hybrid?

I just hope man can evolve into a master race of telepaths before the aliens come to probe us all and mix with our species!
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »
Part of the reason I don't like them is because they were an engineered band. Have you heard of anyone who knew about Panic! before they became an MTV poster child? I don't know if MTV or their label literally put them together, but their fan base is entirely people who were told to listen to them through marketability.

Actually, yes.  My younger cousin from Jersey actually turned me onto them Christmas of 2005, definitely a couple of months before I ever saw them on MTV with "I Write Sins not Tragedies."  I believe they did have quite a bit of a following before they really struck it huge.  Actually I just read a little bio on them that says they began in 2005, album out in Sept. 2005, and didn't hit top 40 til sometime early 2006.  First TRL appearance on January 17.

Also, they came together from high school and posted some demos online.  Pete Wentz (AT LEAST THEY DON'T PARTY WITH HIM) discovered them and had them signed, took them out on tour.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them.  They had a good thing, built a fan base online and on tour through catchy tunes and a fun schtik...

Offline samo

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-3
    • Phone Bonarz
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 12:59:22 PM »
I think that some emo music is good (like Motion City Soundtrack, I love those guys), but I also think that emo music really encourages depression. I'm no psychologist, but I think that listening to so much depressing music (emo) kind of desensitizes the listener from depression, and makes it more acceptable in their eyes, and consequentially, the listener becomes depressed more. I think emo also encourages depression because the genre makes depression look cool, and also couples depression with self-righteousness. For all of you non-depressed people out there, I reccomend you stay away from emo.
Check out my 1337 website. www.freewebs.com/billzwensky

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 01:23:59 PM »

Actually, yes.  My younger cousin from Jersey actually turned me onto them Christmas of 2005, definitely a couple of months before I ever saw them on MTV with "I Write Sins not Tragedies."  I believe they did have quite a bit of a following before they really struck it huge.  Actually I just read a little bio on them that says they began in 2005, album out in Sept. 2005, and didn't hit top 40 til sometime early 2006.  First TRL appearance on January 17.

Also, they came together from high school and posted some demos online.  Pete Wentz (AT LEAST THEY DON'T PARTY WITH HIM) discovered them and had them signed, took them out on tour.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them.  They had a good thing, built a fan base online and on tour through catchy tunes and a fun schtik...

I stand corrected. I was under the impression they were an assembled band. Thank you for letting me know that.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »
I think that some emo music is good (like Motion City Soundtrack, I love those guys), but I also think that emo music really encourages depression. I'm no psychologist, but I think that listening to so much depressing music (emo) kind of desensitizes the listener from depression, and makes it more acceptable in their eyes, and consequentially, the listener becomes depressed more. I think emo also encourages depression because the genre makes depression look cool, and also couples depression with self-righteousness. For all of you non-depressed people out there, I reccomend you stay away from emo.

On the other hand, maybe listening to nonstop depressing music helps people deal with depression better.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »

This is pretty much my impression of the entire emo 'culture', 'phenomenon' or whatever the hell they call it. It's all corporations taking advantage of youth angst and fooling them into thinking it's distinctive and original. Now presenting the revolution, brought to you by Converse.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline splynt0r

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 02:29:55 AM »
brought to you by Converse.

Wrong, Converse is a daughter company of Nike. So it's brought to you by Nike.
Don't do it  ;D

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 09:37:38 AM »
Just thinking about all this and seeing how far it all got carried made me realize that my hate for Panic! at the Disco is nothing compared to my hate for My Chemical Romance, but I'd rather not start another thread of essentially the same thing.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
HIM pwns MCR and Panic! at the Disco.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 09:39:22 AM »

Um, HIM sucks just as bad as the other two.

Offline mrpeanut

• PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-30
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 10:25:21 AM »
HIM is pretty fucking terrible. I heard a cover of don't fear the reaper. It was an ear rape.

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 08:57:47 PM »

HIM is horrible!  I'll take Panic! At the Disco and MCR, thanks :)

Offline splynt0r

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 06:23:03 AM »
Dropkick Murphy's Own all  ;D