Author Topic: So what books are you reading?  (Read 34753 times)

Offline Yauch

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-9
So what books are you reading?
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »
By books I of course am referring to the elitist comic nerd terminology for comic book. I'm currently reading the Lucifer series put out by Vertigo. Vertigo is a spin off aimed at the older crowd which contain more violence, nudity and engaging plot lines. You know, stuff kids want. Lucifer is a spin off of Neil Gaimen's Sandman series, so if you haven't read it I'd suggest reading it first.

On the manga front I'm currently on the third book of the Buddha series written by the legendary Osamu Tezuka. When I was younger I never really cared for his character designs and I still think that they're fairly simplistic however they work to lighten up such a serious piece. I wish every major religion would but out a bunch of comic books about how they came to be. It'd go a long way to alleviate FUD between differing cultures.

I was reading Slam Dunk but I guess Rajin (the company that translated it and published it stateside) went out of business. If anyone finds some scanalations let me know. Otherwise I think the anime has been subbed by some fan subber group, so I'll probably just look for a torrent of that.

Offline Mithrandir_t00

• Aka "Zohn"
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-6
Re: So what books are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 02:11:19 PM »
I've been slowly collecting all the volumes of Transmetropolitan. I think I'm up to 5 or 6, so I'm halfway there.
Also been re-reading The Watchmen after hearing the guy that did the movie for 300 is adapting it.
Shitting Dick-Nipples

Offline Mr.Cactus

• Orochicko kills ducks
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +17/-19
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
I'm currently reading richard scary's cars and trucks and things that go. A very advanced book.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 04:09:12 PM by Mr.Cactus »

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:03:10 PM »
I'm making my way through The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson, The Revolution of Everyday Life by Raoul Vangiem and Klosterman IV by Chuck Klosterman.

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 05:00:48 PM »
Bradford's Thermopylae: The Battle for the West and Tolkien's The Children of Húrin.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline splynt0r

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +19/-10
  • Rip. Sample. Mash. Share
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 02:24:24 AM »
Surfing on the internet by J.C. Herz ( bargain book , 50 ¢  ;D )
and I'm currently collecting the fabulous furry freak brothers comic series.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:49:48 AM by splynt0r »

Offline Yauch

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-9
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:44:22 AM »
Murd0c: chuck Klosterman is great, he used to write this section in our local paper called the rage. It was all about music and interesting crap that pertains to us youngins. I remember that when the Foo Fighters first album came out and everyone was saying that they'd never go anywhere after they "use up all of Cobains leftovers" Chuck was one who expressed this band would be sticking around for a while. I'd say Chuck Klosterman is probably the 5th most noteworthy person to come out of ND.

Frog: That's the newly published Tolkien book,right? I'm assuming you've read the Similarion. Is it a hard to read as that? I've only read the original books and I thought those were a bitch to get through.

Mith: I too am excited for the movie adaption of the watchmen. I heard they're keeping it in the 80s so thats a step in the right direction. Hopefully it's more like V then swamp thing or league. I haven't read transmet but I remember coming across it when I was looking for the comic based on Neuromancer.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:26:26 AM by Yauch »

kelsokid18

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 09:58:55 AM »
Ctrl+Alt+Del  A webcomic, about gamers

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:28:04 AM »

Mith: I too am excited for the movie adaption of the watchmen. I heard they're keeping it in the 80s so thats a step in the right direction.

I think I may skip it altogether. I'd hoped for years this wouldn't end up happening, but it looks like now it will...poor Alan Moore.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline samo

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-3
    • Phone Bonarz
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. On the comics front, I just finished Earthboy Jacoubus, which was amazing.
Check out my 1337 website. www.freewebs.com/billzwensky

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 03:26:04 PM »
Frog: That's the newly published Tolkien book,right? I'm assuming you've read the Similarion. Is it a hard to read as that? I've only read the original books and I thought those were a bitch to get through.

It's Silmarillion. I don't know why everyone gets it wrong. I even got it wrong for a while.

No, it is nothing like his other post-humously published works. Getting through them is like chewing through rubber; Children of Húrin is amazingly well tempered--my favorite Tolkien work so far--and styled as a Norse saga. That is to say, it is written more or less simply, with priority placed on the story rather than the descriptions (which you may remember from other novels, he tends to go overboard with). Definitely check it out if, like me, you consider Tolkien a stronger imaginative than a writer.

Also, just finished Thermopylae. Now I'm reading From Armageddon to the Fall of Rome.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline theScatman

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-8
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 06:24:09 PM »
I'm making my way through The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson

Hunter S Thompson is the man. His book on the Hells Angels is my personal favorite.

I'm reading Hacksaw by Edward R Jones. It's about a guy who escape from prison 14 times. Good read.

Offline jimb20

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-18
    • James Bland Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »
I'm currently skipping around in George Carlin's Napalm and Silly Putty

its really good and hilarious

and also reading Love Hina

kelsokid18

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 05:17:20 PM »
Star Trek: TNG Technical Manual

Offline jimb20

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-18
    • James Bland Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 05:55:14 PM »
Star Trek: TNG Technical Manual

I have a copy of the Klingon Dictionary and English to Klingon translation and vice versa its pretty neat