Author Topic: Ask me something music related  (Read 47837 times)

Offline Lestan Gregor

• PLA Bitch
  • 1337 13V3L: +64/-30
Re: Ask me something music related
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
Why does everyone hate Gary Numan?

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
Why is it that I'm mind numblingly drawn to synthesizers, but hate them when people like Britney Spears or Hannah Montana use them in their music?

Offline nova

• El Fireman
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +25/-83
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
Kevin is often in Jamaica because his wife is Jamaican. I'm pretty sure some of his band members are, as well.

I was completely unaware that he lives there, though. I think he just spends a lot of time down there.

http://www.stereotruth.net/2008/05/tobymac-sent-us-a-new-video-blog/ That link indicates that he took a trip there, and that was less than 2 months ago. I've seen similar articles from 2005, and some other times. Since DC Talk was together (and actively making music and doing concerts) until 2000ish, I know he was in the States then. Usually, though, when people do overseas ministries, it involves moving overseas, and the tense political climate, along with poverty and other 3rd-world issues, make it a ripe candidate for ministry opportunities.

why did my friend tell me he lives in Jamaica

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:51:41 PM by MattGSX »

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:07 PM »
Why does everyone hate Gary Numan?

I certainly don't hate Gary Numan. Most people that hate Gary Numan only do so because of the Family Guy episode that bashes him. He's not my favorite musician, but I think his approach to music is a lot more bold than any shock group.

Look at all the people that hate John Coltrane. I mean, few people will admit it, but trying to get someone to sit through more than 10 minutes of "Love Supreme" (the album) is like trying to perform brain surgery while being mauled by bears - it just doesn't happen. Gary Numan, just like Coltrane before him, often confuses and scares his listeners because his music is purely for his own enjoyment.

Come to think of it, becoming a musician of Gary's caliber (not of playing, but of that state of mind) is actually my ultimate goal. Now I love Gary Numan.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
Why is it that I'm mind numblingly drawn to synthesizers, but hate them when people like Britney Spears or Hannah Montana use them in their music?

I never thought of that. Maybe it's because you hear all the wasted potential for greatness?

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »

why did my friend tell me he lives in Jamaica

Maybe your friend is right. I'm not a big tobyMAC fan, so my answer came from 10 minutes of searching on google.

On a side note, Firefox's spellcheck actually recognizes Google but says google is incorrect.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »
I'm sad that this thread died.

Offline PHISH-PHREAK

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-26
    • 954 Phone Losers
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2009, 10:22:45 PM »
Something music related?

Offline N3gativ3sanity

• Lumberjack
  • Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +25/-20
  • Connoisseur of punch and pie
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2009, 02:19:51 AM »
How can I make the "One time, at band camp" joke die? It's all I hear when people find out I play the flute  :-\
S1acker: wtf do they wanna take my plasma for
Negs: For people in the hospital, I guess
S1acker: they can get their own
S1acker: GO GROW SOME PLASMA NOOBS!!!!

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
How can I make the "One time, at band camp" joke die? It's all I hear when people find out I play the flute  :-\

Start a band that's a modern version of Jethro Tull.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
OK Matt, I have a music question for when you return in however many months. Why do they call it minimalist music?

People always think minimalist music is some artsy BS like 30 minutes of clicking sounds or having everyone sit in silence for 10 minutes and then someone rings a gong. Like in this thread: http://www.phonelosers.com/index.php?topic=4143.msg46346#msg46346

I saw Phillip Glass in person on Friday playing the piece often attributed to starting the minimalist music movement. There were like 70 musicians all playing at once and it was pretty loud and complicated. Whenever I hear music from big famous minimalist composers it seems pretty complex to me. The whole thing about repetition and rhythm can't be the only reason; techno seems even more repetitive and focused on rhythm to me.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2009, 01:19:55 PM »
Sorry for the hiatus, kids. I had finals, then a wedding, and then I spent some time in Boston.

Zazen, sorry to break it to you, but that's basically it. To really "get" minimalism, you have to compare early minimalism (early Steve Reich, phillip glass, john adams, etc, etc) and compare it to other stuff going on in "art" music at the time. The 60's-80's were a big time for composers such as Pierre Boulez, Milton Babbit, and several other serialist and ultra-complex composers who started writing music according to algorithms with no reference whatsoever to tonality or a thought of tone centers.

Compare this, however, to something like John Adams' "aeolian harp", where the same pattern repeats endlessly with minor variations. The piece evolves incredibly slowly, which is supposed to give the music an endless, introspective, meandering quality. Ideally, you don't even hear the music develop.

By most definitions, most electronic music could be considered minimalist. It isn't because you don't typically hear techno in an "art music" setting, so nobody wants to label it that way. I do, though.

Modern minimalist music is called so because of a slow evolution, repetition over development, sparse harmonic material (using only the same 2-3 chords over and over), etc, etc. Look at a piece like Terry Riley's "In C". It's a cluster of sound, yes. But (and this is the important part), there are actually only 30 bars of music that just keep getting layered in new and interesting ways. Same thing goes for Phillip Glass - there may be 70 people playing 70 different things, but you'll find that he just keeps recycling ideas and switching them between performers, so there's little/no new material actually being introduced throughout the piece.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »
The 60's-80's were a big time for composers such as Pierre Boulez, Milton Babbit, and several other serialist and ultra-complex composers who started writing music according to algorithms with no reference whatsoever to tonality or a thought of tone centers.

Compare this, however, to something like John Adams' "aeolian harp", where the same pattern repeats endlessly with minor variations. The piece evolves incredibly slowly, which is supposed to give the music an endless, introspective, meandering quality. Ideally, you don't even hear the music develop.

That makes sense. It almost seems like the thing that was missing in the early days were rules. Like In C "a piece for any number of and kind of instrument". Or Morton Feldman basically telling the performer to go ahead and do whatever the hell they want for big sections of the piece.

I am going nuts trying to find that John Adams piece. Do you have a link to any info about it? The only thing I could find that comes close is this: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UsLA2Mz6PJ8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UsLA2Mz6PJ8&rel=1</a>

By most definitions, most electronic music could be considered minimalist. It isn't because you don't typically hear techno in an "art music" setting, so nobody wants to label it that way. I do, though.

Thanks for that!

Look at a piece like Terry Riley's "In C". It's a cluster of sound, yes. But (and this is the important part), there are actually only 30 bars of music that just keep getting layered in new and interesting ways. Same thing goes for Phillip Glass - there may be 70 people playing 70 different things...

Actually I only mentioned Glass because he was mentioned in that thread. He was just playing a keyboard, one of 70 other people performing In C. Including some other notable people and Terry Riley himself!

PS I printed this out and my girlfriend kept up with where we were in the concert. Nitpick, it's 53 phrases

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
DAMN IT! Sorry Zazen. Aoelian Harp is Morton Feldman. It's Phrygian Gate (like the geometry term). You can understand how I'd confuse it.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »
Thanks! Never heard it, DLing it now