Author Topic: Tale of a Lost Cellphone, and Untold Static  (Read 3816 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Tale of a Lost Cellphone, and Untold Static
« on: June 20, 2006, 10:07:33 PM »
Three weeks ago, Mr. Guttman went on a quest to retrieve a friend's lost cellphone, a quest that has now ended with the arrest of a 16-year-old on charges of possessing the missing gadget, a Sidekick model with a built-in camera that sells for as much as $350. But before the teenager was arrested, she was humiliated by Mr. Guttman in front of untold thousands of people on the Web, an updated version of the elaborate public shamings common in centuries past.

The tale began when Mr. Guttman's best friend Ivanna left her cellphone in a taxicab, like thousands of others before her. After Ivanna got a new Sidekick, she logged on to her account — and was confronted by pictures of an unfamiliar young woman and her family, along with the young woman's America Online screen name.

The 16-year-old, Sasha Gomez, of Corona, Queens, had been using the Sidekick to take pictures and send instant messages. She apparently did not know that the company that provided the phone's service, T-Mobile, automatically backs up such information on its remote servers. So when Ivanna got back on, there was Sasha.

Using instant messages, Mr. Guttman tracked down Sasha and asked her to return it. "Basically, she told me to get lost," Mr. Guttman recalled. "That was it."

The full story is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/21/nyregion/21sidekick.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

mattyk123

Re: Tale of a Lost Cellphone, and Untold Static
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:07:32 AM »
Wow that was a harassment level almost upto your standards. That Sasha girl got owned ;D

Offline Nagasakinuker

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-13
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:08:06 PM »
yeah that story was great!

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 01:03:24 PM »
Note to self, if you find a cellphone in a taxicab, check the service provider before using it.

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
Usually they don't mention someone's name if they're under 18, OR arrest them.  Didn't think it was different in NY?  ???

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:08:16 PM »
Maybe she's not being charged as a minor?  Only thing I can think of...
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.