Author Topic: Abducted Or Acting? Mysterious 911 Call Troubles Authorities  (Read 5164 times)

Offline legend813

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +90/-16
  • OMFG HACKED BY MURD0C.NET!
Man Claims To Be Calling From Inside Car Trunk

POSTED: 2:30 pm EDT June 26, 2006

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Central Florida detectives continue to seek four men and a tan four-door Honda even as they question the authenticity of a frantic 911 call from a man who said he was snatched and thrown in a trunk.

"We're treating it as if it's real because we can't afford not to," Polk County Sheriff's spokeswoman Carrie Rodgers said. "But there are still a lot of things that don't add up."

The breathless man, who said his name is Michael James or Jeans, told a 911 dispatcher early Saturday he was calling from a cell phone he found in the car's trunk.

"Praise God I found this phone," the man told the 911 operator. "Please, please, help me please! ... I'm a God-fearing man, I never hurt anyone."

The eight-minute call ended with a scream.

CALLER: "They're opening it."

OPERATOR: "They're opening the trunk? Michael, are you still there?"

CALLER: (Screams)

OPERATOR: "Hello? Hello? I just lost him. They stopped and they opened the trunk."

"Obviously sounded like he was fearing for his life," Rodgers said. "I don't think somebody could fake that level of panic."

Detectives said the call sounds genuine, but not everything in the caller's story adds up. The phone the man claimed to have found in the trunk had been deactivated years ago. Deactivated phones can still call 911, but detectives wondered how it could remain charged so long after service was cut off.

No one matching either name was known to be living in the Lakeland area, authorities said. But the man mentioned in the call that he had just moved to the area.

"I just moved down here from Georgia," he said. I just moved like three weeks ago. I don't know anybody. I don't have any enemies."

The agency released a video of four men who bought gas for a tan Honda at a convenience store about two hours before the man called 911. The men are described as persons of interest.

Two weeks ago, the U.S. Coast Guard faced a similar dilemma when a boater radioed in a distress call that he was sinking 3 miles off Boynton Beach.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0613/hoax_ap.html

Listen to the USGS recording here ---> http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/mplayer/m/3844

The caller said he had nine people on board, but a search turned up no signs of the boat, nor the missing boaters. Authorities were unable to confirm the caller's identity and found no records of the boat. A search was suspended after 24 hours with no sign of wreckage or the boaters.

Polk County media: http://www.polksheriff.org/briefings/news/new/Information%20Sought%20in%20Apparent%20Abduction.pdf

Video From the Circle K: http://www.polksheriff.org/briefings/news/new/Circle%20K%20video.avi

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 08:02:49 PM by legend813 »

z09

Re: Abducted Or Acting? Mysterious 911 Call Troubles Authorities
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:58:30 PM »
It's a hoax.  Why would kidnappers have a charged deactivated cell phone in their trunck?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:04:43 PM »
It's a hoax.  Why would kidnappers have a charged deactivated cell phone in their trunck?

Maybe it slipped out of the pocket of the last person they kidnapped.

z09

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:19:50 PM »

Why would the last person be carying a disconnected cell phone? 

Offline Shadow

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »

Because he's a phreak, duh.

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:31:26 PM »
"disconnected" isnt really the point.. you can call 911 from them. i used to have one in the 9th grade.

not too many tests that year..

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »

Maybe the last time they kidnapped a person was like 2 years ago, and the phone was deactivated after the dead mfer stopped making payments.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:38:50 AM »
Two weeks ago, the U.S. Coast Guard faced a similar dilemma when a boater radioed in a distress call that he was sinking 3 miles off Boynton Beach.

Looks like they caught the guy making the fake distress call in Boynton Beach.  Man, he's got a fucked up arrest report too!  I made this photoshop for Fark from the guy's mugshot:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:35:03 AM by rbcp »

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 11:22:20 AM »
I think there's a Rickey Smiley call exactly like his.  I know there's one where he's calling from inside a newly buried casket:

"Ma'am, can you please come and dig me up?  They buried about twelve today and I got narcilepsy, I fell asleep here."
Stupid Lady: "Uh... we can't dig up all those graves."
"Is it raining outside?  That's what I know, ma'am, that's what I know.  But please please hurry, my battery is almost dead."