Author Topic: Trackers  (Read 2048 times)

Offline z3wb

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +37/-36
Trackers
« on: August 01, 2008, 04:19:08 PM »
I love trackers. I used to use Fasttracker2 for DOS back in the day, but now I use MilkyTracker which is basically an open-source descendant of FT2 that runs on just about any OS with cool features like being able to draw waveforms by hand. I also like to play around with LSDJ for the Gameboy every now and then.

I got nostalgic and made a video of Fasttracker2 playing my annoying music while I play nibbles:

[youtube=425,350]oKU2-0npUd8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:25:24 PM by z3wb »
Huh?

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Re: Trackers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:43:53 PM »
Nice. There is a pretty sweet tracker for the DS (I can't think of the name right now) that ran .xm music files, which was pretty cool. Since I'm currently lacking a midi device, most input-based trackers aren't working that well for me, but I also have a certain nostalgia for FT2.

For music dev, I'm currently running LMMS, which I like because it's easy to swap projects between my workstation and my DS (they both run .xm files). LMMS has a whole bunch of sweet plug-ins, too, and through the VSTi engine, I can even import closed-source plugins and generators, which pretty much eliminates my need for Fruity Loops. I was also running Fruity's vsti plugin through Finale at one point, but it was a big memory-hungry mess. I really should just get my midi server up and running, so I can use my DS as a midi input device for a tracker. Once I figure out how to work past my authentication issues with Ni-Fi and our school's Bluesocket server app, I should be able to remotely control either instruments or filters, and just run a loop on my PC. Yay!

Sweet video, by the way. It makes me think of my 486.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
Re: Trackers
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Impulse Tracker was the shit