Author Topic: NAME YOUR EQUIPMENT SETUP!  (Read 3015 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
NAME YOUR EQUIPMENT SETUP!
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:17:17 AM »
Here's a fun place where I want you to name your hardware/software setups, and, if you have multiple configurations, what you use them for.

---Instruments---
1) Viola
- My viola has been with me since my freshman year of high school. It is an M. Herrman ToneKlar from the early 70's. It's an okay instrument, but it's seen better days and is in need of an upgrade (I just don't have the $5000 to drop on a decent new instrument right now). I use tungsten core wrapped in silver for my bottom strings and nickel plated silver for my top strings (for anyone that plays, I use Pirastro Obligato's for my C and D, a Larson D, and a Jarger A.
2) Violin
- I actually just got the violin from my parents. They were using it as a mantelpiece, thought it was a viola, and didn't realize it was a functional instrument until I pointed it out. It needs repairs and appraising, so I can't be sure of the value or quality until then. It is an R. Schmidt from 1963.
3) Guitars - I really cheaped out on guitars, since I use them so rarely and really only need them for the rare occasion that I need to accompany someone or put down some backup.
A) Acoustic
- I have a Mitchell acoustic guitar that I purchased for an educational methodology class last year. I just restrung it, but I can't remember the brand. I think they're from Door County, WI. It's an okay guitar, but I really don't practice enough to make good use of it.
B) Electric
-  Ibanez GIO. I really don't have any information on this, other than the pickups are badly shielded and it feeds back pretty wonderfully.
4) Homemade instruments
A) Garbage Funnel - 24.5 ft of hose pipe slipped through an opening drilled into the bottom of a garbage can. I use either a Kelly french horn mouthpiece or a Bach trombone mouthpiece, depending on the sound and range I want. Nothing is sealed in place to facilitate easier cleaning (garden hose doesn't have a spit valve  :'( )
B) Improvised Percussion - I know it hardly qualifies as an instrument, but on several recordings (mainly classical music), I've used music stands, chair backs, tabletops, and other metal rims as percussion instruments. It works fairly well, even though it looks lame. As a sidenote, a dot matrix printer makes a very recordable sound.
C) Toilet Harp - This is a work in progress. Even though the toilet horn (see A but replace garbage can with toilet) didn't quite work, I'm trying to use a porcelain toilet bowl as the resonating body for a string harp. I have the feeling I'll have to use something deeper, but I have a broken toilet to use, so I want to try it.

-----Software and Synth-----
1) LMMS - I replaced FL studio with LMMS after I realized that LMMS will save in most universal tracker formats, allowing me to swap between computers and my DS for tracking on the road. It also allows me to retrack and instrumentate midi.
2) ARDOUR - like protools. It only works occasionally, and I really only use it for mastering recordings after they are finished, because it's a bitch to do live recording with it (I don't have an ALSA driver)
3) DS Instruments/Tools
A) Electroplankton - Apparently this is a VERY popular synth for industrial style recordings.
B) Roland Drum Machine - it's a combination of several TS and TRS setups. pretty sweet
C) Jam Sessions - Acoustic guitar simulator. Yay.
D) Nitrotracker - it's a Fasttracker II style tracker. Allows me to swap files between LMMS and my DS for working on music on the road.

Offline M-26-7

• Skinniest Member of the PLA
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +40/-61
Re: NAME YOUR EQUIPMENT SETUP!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »
Not much of a muscian, but I like to play around.
Intruments/Equipment
Technics Sl-1200 MK. 2- Finally got one. It's really nice. Plus a Staton 400v which is cheap nad has 10 mHz output (a lot). It's got good sound quality, but it's only decent for scratching (holds grooves reasonably well, scratches the LP a lot) plus I haven't gotten a LP of samples so I haven't used it much for scratching.
Fender Stratocaster- I <3 Fender. I also like the Telecasters; they have a more balanced sound I think.
Various amps
Yamaha Saxophone- I used to play much more before I picked up the guitar. I still screw around on it from time to time.
Chickering Baby Grand Piano- Never took piano lessons, but it's an easy instrument to noodle around on.
Violin (Imitation Stradivarius?)- I love violin, but I rented while I was taking lessons and the one I own is pretty old and needs work. I'm going to try and get it fixed up, it's such a fabulous intrument.

I saw some guys using their iPhones and Electroplankton to make some interesting music.
Have you seen the latest thing by the Electroplankton inventor? It's [Tenori-on] a sick syth, and only $1,000!

Also I was wondering if you could recommend any software that I could use to isolate the beats in songs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:15:31 PM by M-26-7 »

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »
I really don't play around with sound isolation that much, but I bet you could get most of the other stuff out with protools. For the purposes of removing vocals, the vocal line (usually) is the only recorded track that has a perfect 50/50 pan balance. If you figure out how the drums were tracked, you can isolate them by removing everything else that wasn't tracked the same way.

Offline M-26-7

• Skinniest Member of the PLA
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +40/-61
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Cheap bastards started charging for protools

Offline s1acker

• plop
  • PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-10
  • lolwut?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:14:47 PM »
BCR2000, Yahama Keyboard (used for midi keyboard), Reason 4, Renoise, Ableton.

Offline ekimike

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 06:35:14 AM »
aw sweet i never knew this user board existed. i got a PDP all maple cherry to black fade 6 piece, Spaun 14" acrylic vented coke bottle snare, A custom 15" fast crash, A custom 16" projection crash, Pieste prototype 21" ride, 14" Pieste PST5 high hats, Pieste PST5 10" splash, DW 9002 double bass drum pedal. I also have a complete recording studio in my basement that i run off my computer with pro tools LE and a couple very nice mics (very good quality on my recorded prank calls :) I got the new 2008 yamaha 12 input mixer that i use for live shows

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:51:30 AM »
M-26-7:
Just use audacity then. I'm pretty sure you can use an audio-seperator plug-in to do the same thing.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »
Instruments:
Giannini Guitar

Software: