Author Topic: The Book  (Read 7334 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
The Book
« on: July 09, 2006, 12:44:53 PM »
Here's the deal about the book...I've been talking about having a book published for more than half my life.  And over the past 5 years I've actually started to compile things in MS Word format to put into a book.  The older version of the book you can read here.  It's just a few chapters and there are a few more that I never got around to putting on that page.  I don't think I'll be finishing that version of the book any time soon.  I just don't like the way I'm putting it all together.  Very weak in my opinion.

The newer book project of mine involves simply throwing lots of the content from phonelosers.org and brad-carter.com into separate chapters.  I started on that a little over a year ago and I'd say it's at least 75% done, if not more.  It currently runs about 112 pages of single-spaced 12 point Courier type.  Manuscripts are supposed to be double-spaced so technically it's 224 pages.  Plus I haven't added in any pictures yet, which could easily fill up another 10 pages.  So there's plenty of material already there but I'd really like to expand on a few things and turn it into 300 pages.

So in the spirit of Joe the Peacock's Mentally Incontinent project, I thought it might be a good idea to just put parts of my book up on the forums for users to critique.  Maybe even all of the book.  Joe's method of user input sure worked for him.  And if nothing else, maybe it'll motivate me to get this thing finished up.  I could easily have the book thing wrapped up by the end of the year if I just put a little more effort into it.

So my plan is to slowly start putting up chapters of the upcoming book.  You can read over them, tell me what you think, make suggestions, tell me it's horrible, etc.  Hopefully I'll have some time later today to throw something up in this section.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:03:14 PM by rbcp »

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
Re: The Book
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:43:15 PM »
I actually enjoyed your not-finished-almost-abandoned book, about your trashy dead friends. Is the new book the same prose-fiction type thing, or is it straight this is how you make a blue box?
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 04:20:16 AM »
I'm ready to belittle you for your stupid writings!

Offline I-baLL

• OMG Mod
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-7
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:53:44 PM »
I'm ready to contribute.

Offline Saint

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-2
  • Krazy Glue Afficionado
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 12:46:35 AM »
So far I like it! :D

Is it true that your best friend was killed by a dump truck?  Either way it's a good read.

Colour Your World

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 08:16:35 AM »
It is true... and incidentally, my best friend was the dump truck.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 04:41:32 AM »
How much will you need to sell it for, if only making enough copies for a small audience? (Unless it becomes a best seller of course)
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 06:59:14 AM »
How much will you need to sell it for, if only making enough copies for a small audience? (Unless it becomes a best seller of course)

I haven't even thought about the price.  I'm guessing it'd be anywhere from $5 to $15.

And yeah, I've sure been lazy about getting around to putting up chapters like I said I would.  I really will one of these days!

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 07:40:12 PM »

I haven't even thought about the price.  I'm guessing it'd be anywhere from $5 to $15.

And yeah, I've sure been lazy about getting around to putting up chapters like I said I would.  I really will one of these days!

7.95 and youve got a dealio

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 06:47:45 PM »
thats it, I've listened to every episode, prank call, read every page on the site, and every PLA issue... I AM STARVING FOR NEW MATERIAL!

preferiably in hardcopy form
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

IluvInternet24/7

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »
 The last sentence was awesome.  :D

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 07:54:15 PM »
You could just tell funny stories all day long about phone related mischief. Other topics include: Redboxing, Prank calls gone wrong, Getting busted, Almost getting busted, Phone vandalism, The perils of running a phone themed website, Relay operators, Collect calls, Calls to idiots, Calls from idiots, Telemarketing, Recording calls, Funny call transcripts, Messing with operators, Phone company threats, Outrageous phone bills, Summer prank details, etc.. Throw in all the old material from your websites and include an audio cd with lots of never before heard prank calls. Some of Murd0c's insane stories might make a good chapter. Don't put any new material online until your book sales are dwindling or you will spoil the book for those who want to buy it and encourage the lazy people to not buy at all. I think Joe messed up there
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline BillCancer

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-4
  • All you see is ... crime in the source code
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 06:36:43 PM »
hell id buy it. new material is always awsome

Offline blacfox

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 12:00:57 AM »
i would easily pay 20 dollarss for a 300 page book, even if it is just usless information

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 11:12:26 AM »
I would buy two copies. My introduction to the scene (after reading some extremely funny yet obviously full of shit files on how to make the assassin's box and assorted crap) was the PLA files, bad as they were. Reading your travel story on brad-carter was awesome as well, and I would certainly pay good money to read a book full of things like that.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"