Author Topic: The Commodore 64 kernal and BASIC  (Read 5104 times)

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
The Commodore 64 kernal and BASIC
« on: April 05, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
you can emulate it easily from VICE in case you guys din know.  I was asked twice about it so after my C64's video card went bad (colors wont stop cycling through) I needed it back.  I put it on my Nintendo DS but it wasn't the same really.  Here is a quick guide i wrote to install it on Solaris or Ubuntu:

http://www.zombie.el.cx/texts/hacking/pdfs/commodore64howto.pdf

here is a few cool pics of it on my NDS:

http://www.zombie.el.cx/images/c64DS/DSC05627.JPG
http://www.zombie.el.cx/images/c64DS/DSC05628.JPG

Im glad this board was birthed.  There's so much to talk about! :)

Offline 110.Baud

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-3
Re: The Commodore 64 kernal and BASIC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:27:54 AM »
I know this is old but couldn't resist.  You can fix that 64 by replacing the 2114 colour ram as the most likely suspect, or the CD4066 or the PLA (pun not intended) 906114-01 (82S100PLA)

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »
thats awesome, unfortunately i got rid of the machine :( but the emulator r0cks :)

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »
after a heroic effort by several members of my hackerspace, i've got a working commodore 128 set up.  *squee*!

i spent last night figuring out the music commands, and starting to get the hang of what kinds of tones you can make on there.  my goal is to start making really cool 8-bit music.
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
after a heroic effort by several members of my hackerspace, i've got a working commodore 128 set up.  *squee*!

i spent last night figuring out the music commands, and starting to get the hang of what kinds of tones you can make on there.  my goal is to start making really cool 8-bit music.

I had a 128 when I was a kid and am still scounging around for one from time to time. I've got at least 20 games back home that I used to play on that thing all the time as a wee lad. Figure I could some how have my brother find them, mail them to me undamaged, play them, realize that Robocop is still pretty silly, go back to my current machine in frustration.

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »
i'm not gaming, since the disk drive hasn't quite been restored to working condition yet.

however...i need to look into fixing the disk drive, so i can save my music files through a slightly more technologically advanced method than the old "pen-and-steno-pad."  (however, i'm not going to lie...i feel pretty bad-ass saving my programs that way, at least for now...)
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:01:06 AM »
looks like some company is releasing a new version of the C64... no SID chip though? ugh.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

The new Commodore 64 features genuine Cherry brand key switches, which provide a feel much better than the original, with a lovely IBM classic mechanism and click sound. The keys are the exact same shape as the original and are color matched. No expense has been spared. This is the ultimate hackers keyboard on which to wield your key-fu.

The new Commodore 64 also features a slot or tray load DVD R/W(Bluray optional) on the left side of the unit.

The base Commodore 64 comes with 2 GB of DDR3 memory and is expandable to 4 GB.

A multi format card reader/writer and a USB slot are provided on the right side of the unit. There are an additional 4 USB slots on the rear of the unit for all your peripheral needs.

The classic power light is now the power button.

The new Commodore 64 can be connected to the latest televisions and monitors, and can deliver 1080p HD quality video playback and 6 Channel High Definition Audio for an excellent home theater experience. It also incorporates wireless n wifi for exceptional internet video streaming quality.

Play all your favorite 8-bit era games within seconds of turning the Commodore 64 on, by either selecting the C64 icon from the boot menu to run a C64 emulator directly, or from a media center program within our own Commodore Operating System.

Note: Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available. In the meantime, units come with the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system on CD ready to install.
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation