Author Topic: 25 years of cell phone service  (Read 3549 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
25 years of cell phone service
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
From suntimes.com:

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the first commercial wireless call. It happened Oct. 13, 1983, at Soldier Field, where Ameritech Mobile, now part of Verizon Wireless, made the call from a Motorola DynaTAC 8000X known as the "brick" phone. The phone cost $3,995, was 13 inches long, and weighed 1.75 pounds.

Paul Gudonis, who was vice president of marketing for Ameritech Mobile Communications and who organized the launch, said 20 customers of the new cell phone service were invited to the event.

The late Jack Brickhouse, then the broadcaster for the Cubs, served as master of ceremonies. Bob Barnett, president of Ameritech Mobile, made the first cell phone call to Alexander Graham Bell's great-grandson, who happened to be in Germany at the time.

Katie Boudas, who was head of public relations for Ameritech Mobile at the time, recited cell phone expenses that would shock people today:

•   â€¢   Service cost $50 a month plus 40 cents a minute peak, 24 cents off-peak. There were no free minutes in those days, Boudas said. The original network had 12 cell sites in the Chicago area.

•   â€¢   The first year, Ameritech Mobile signed up 12,000 subscribers. Verizon Wireless now has 68.7 million subscribers and generates $48.7 billion in annual revenue.

•   â€¢   Total wireless subscribers totaled 262.7 million, or 84 percent of the U.S. population, as of June, according to the International Association for Wireless Telecommunications. Nearly half, or 46 percent, of children ages 8 to 12 use cell phones, according to the Nielsen Co.

Other members of the start-up team were Evan Richards, vice president of engineering; Dennis Hackl, chief financial officer, and Allan Arlow, general counsel. Hank Lucas served as general manager of the trial run.

"Originally, the cell phone was about liberating people from the wires of the telephone call," said Jim Wicks, corporate vice president and director of Motorola's consumer experience design team. "Now, it's about liberating people from their desktops. It's about information, entertainment, movies, music and social networks."

Offline JD716

• Self Proclaimed PLA Bridge Warrior
  • Post Whore
  • 1337 13V3L: +12/-28
  • CACTUS!
Re: 25 years of cell phone service
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 02:37:47 PM »
.. And if your with Sprint, it's about liberating people from decent customer service.

Verizon Wireless FTW... 40 cents a minute though, holy shit!
PDXUSA sucks my ass.

Offline Jo Nathen

• [Almost a 100 count poster]
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-45
  • Messing around with skype and my job has a pbx.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »
.. And if your with Sprint, it's about liberating people from decent customer service.

Verizon Wireless FTW... 40 cents a minute though, holy shit!

Verizon has treated me well with my cell for 2+ years now. Now, Lan Lines and DSL service (when I have to call support) , Thats a whole other dimension.

Offline JD716

• Self Proclaimed PLA Bridge Warrior
  • Post Whore
  • 1337 13V3L: +12/-28
  • CACTUS!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:53:16 PM »
Verizon Wireless is the best here. 80% of all cell users here in WNY are VZW customers. The next most common is T-Mobile. Sprint has a great network but shitty customer service (had them for 2 years). And i only know about 5 people who use AT&T.

Is it me or is IN calling great? I can call like almost all the people i know for free.

For home phone service, Verizon is expensive but it is reliable. We have Time Warner Digital Phone and it is cheap but does not work very well.
PDXUSA sucks my ass.

Offline Sidepocket

• Phone Phreaker Newbs Pwn
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-22
    • http://sidepocket_pro.livejournal.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:52:39 AM »
I think in celebration they should re-release a working collectors edition of the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X.  ;D

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
I think in celebration they should re-release a working collectors edition of the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X.  ;D

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/24/the-big-bad-motorola-dynatac-is-back-and-hacked-in-china/
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.