Author Topic: Phone Losers Of America Linux  (Read 18085 times)

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
Re: Phone Losers Of America Linux
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 06:11:31 AM »
What makes slackware so awesome?

People do.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 12:54:05 PM »
So you're saying that if I were going to make another partition to install another brand of linux, which I've been planning to do, I should install slackware?
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
I have this vague memory of someone making wildcat bbs client software that was all customized with phone losers stuff. That must've been like 15 years ago, I don't even know if it was real or I'm imagining things.

This thread kinda reminds me of that, though.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 03:54:45 AM »
Forgetting for a moment that you hate me, what is it that you dislike about Ubuntu? I've been using 8.1 since it came out and used 8.04 before that and so far it's been a fairly decent distro. I haven't really used any other distributions though so I might just like it because it's the only one I've used. What makes slackware so awesome?

It's a fanboy distro for people who don't really care to learn linux, they just want a pat on the back for not using windows. I know there are exceptions to the rule, and plenty of people on this site probably use ubuntu who actually know linux, but its basically running into the same problem that red hat was running into in 1998 (before it became an enterprise-class system) - the labeling of itself as the idiot-proof linux attracts all the idiots.

i mean, just search the support forums where its moronic users try to give other users advice. since many of them have no idea what the shit they're doing, but still feel inclined to throw their two cents in, you get retarded answers like "i dunno man, try rebooting your computer" to honest questions. You'll eventually get your answer, I'm sure... but in the mean time you have to wade through junk-answers and mE t0o!@# posts.

I'M ANGSTY.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 06:09:19 AM »
on that note, i drop out of the project.  You're right, i know nothing about linux and i'm a fanboy, sorry.

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
trev, i'd certainly never even pretend to imply that you don't know what you're doing.

plenty of people on this site probably use ubuntu who actually know linux

i had you in mind specifically when i said this (as i believe weaknet linux is Ubuntu based?).

honestly, i know better than that.

Offline BrixQuikly

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »
In all fairness, Trev, Ubuntu is such a wildly unstable distro that it amazes me that people try to make it a poster child of Linux distros.  Every time I've had to do upgrades on someone's system, there have been scores of problems to fix.

Don't get me wrong- I like the challenge that problems present, but I DO NOT like editing a configuration file just for some "user-friendly" app to come and undo it because the designers presumed I am retarded. 

In the end, though, anyone who has even passingly read the forums knows you have it together with *nix.  I don't think anyone would try to insult you, so let's look at what linear had to say (which is not that far off from what I just did).  I know I would prefer a slack-based distro, and I'm more than happy to work on it if it comes to that.  I do have a lot of personal shit going on at the moment, and would appreciate a checklist of my appointed tasks if I am to help, though.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »
i know i have threads here were i bitch my head off about ubuntu then everyone stuck up for it.  I choose to create my own os and i build the first version of it from Ubuntu seeing how everyone stuck up for it and now i stuck up for it and felt dumb.  Ubuntu is quite awful.  And if you want to use an "easy" Linux, i'd recommend it's father Debian.  Slackware is like BSD but not, it's disk labesl are different and the kernals are so similar in some ways but totally different in others.. I actually think the hardsest OS i have used is Solaris 10.  I was completely new to it when i started using it as a full time OS.  Suse, Redhat (enterprise), Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and FreeBSD seem, to this day, to be standards in the system administration world.  When i started using Linux back in like 2000 i started with Redhat and i thought it was cool.  Then i found SuSe and thought it opened my eyes to all new stuff.. then i found slackware when the "WHAX!" and  "Backtrack"  live cd's were introduced.  Then i just started to use Debian and i got seriously bored of it and moved on to Solaris.  Solaris is hard because, to me, it's the closest resemblence i have had experience with to Unix.  driver supprt is low (unless your rich as hell and can afford their HW), and they too have a cool packaging system like aptitude where yopu just go to a certain website, get a link to a dep or app and wget it and install it:

pkgadd -d <package>-local

post script:
:) I used to think bash and unix commands to parse text were cool, then i found out that Perl is insanely more proficient in doing it.  But now i have gone back to using the shell, only with "Built-in" commands which are insanely longer to type out, but make me feel 1337 doing it :P

So you can see how my mind jumps around with things.  There's too many choices and i wanna try them allllllllllllll!!

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
I say we all comprimise, forget about PLA Linux, and instead make PLA DOS.

UNRELATED:
I wish Haiku OS would move their progress along a bit. I miss BeOS.

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
UNRELATED:
I wish Haiku OS would move their progress along a bit. I miss BeOS.
I agree with this! I haven't even been able to get it running semi stable in a VMware image.  >:(

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »
i did it like two years ago? (maybe not that long?) but it wasn't too exciting. i could just run a semi up-to-date Zeta back then. but now i can't even do that!

Offline sabrebutt

• Toothpaste Salesperson
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-5
  • Ask me about my smile.
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 10:39:36 PM »
Ok, everyone, how about OpenSolaris based Nexenta?

http://www.nexenta.org/os

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »
OpenBeOS-based PLA-Haiku

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »
Ok, everyone, how about OpenSolaris based Nexenta?

http://www.nexenta.org/os

Nexenta ROCKS, godot sent me nexenta cd's years ago and i tested it.  :)

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »
Hey guys, is this the place where I can find a PLA version of OS/2?
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |