Author Topic: Phone Losers Of America Linux  (Read 18089 times)

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
Re: Phone Losers Of America Linux
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 09:46:33 PM »
base this on OpenSUSE and I'm in.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 12:39:59 AM »
I'd offer to help but I SUCK. If you're going to base it on Ubuntu I think you should base it on 8.1
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
Seconded.

Anything pre 8.1 with integrated desktop effects was unstable and had spotty support of graphics cards. I really wish the beryl repos were still active, though, as I really prefer the legacy beryl plugins over Compiz Fusion.

All I ask, as always, is that the correct linux-headers, build-essential, a compiler, and the ralink-legacy (rt73, rt2750, etc, etc) are installed so I can use this on my legacy notebook. If possible as well, a low-mem version of the OS, using a PLA'd version of fluxbox, openbox, icewm, or e17, because simplified window managers in place of a DE = pure sex.

Offline sabrebutt

• Toothpaste Salesperson
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-5
  • Ask me about my smile.
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »
All of these ideas are great, but we're going to need some sort of server to coordinate development of this distro between us properly. That way we can all get the features we want while still fucking up everyone else's experience.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »
Well, my linux BETA comes out feb 5th, so i'm pretty busy (i was just releasing the idea about PLA Linux from my head) , if someone else wants to start on this project that would be fine, it's not hard and you can always txt me if you have any questions on stuff. anyone have any experience with this?

Offline BrixQuikly

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »
What distro are you thinking of basing this on?  I think it'd be a snap to re-work Slax.  IIRC, there's already a Skype module available in their repos.  If you are dead-set against using KDE, *box, ion3, etc, there's also an XFCE module built.  They have a fairly decent number of security tools available and any Slackbuild you compile from www.slackbuilds.org can be converted to an .lzm module in a snap.

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
i previously said OpenSUSE but now definitely agree Slack would be better. fluxbox would be great, but XFCE might be the better route to go. Or just get gnome on there (with http://gnomeslackbuild.org or http://www.droplinegnome.org maybe)

Offline BrixQuikly

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
Another bonus I had thought of was that the current incarnation of slax can fit on a 256MB thumbdrive.  If you take out KDE, then there's a load of space freeing up.  If you wanted to do as liner suggested and use a gnome build, then that can still be lzm'd and dumped in.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »
Well, who's gonna start it up??

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
I'd be willing to put it together and maintain it. I will, however, need assistance with artwork.

Also, post any Slax modules or other programs that you think belong in PLA Linux.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline scuba steve

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
I know I am not well know on here. Maybe more on the bridge. But I would be willing to host files. I have a FTP server with a lil more then 30 gigs ready to go.

Offline sabrebutt

• Toothpaste Salesperson
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-5
  • Ask me about my smile.
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »
I am started at it already.

Right now I am using Ubuntu Construction Kit to take out the languages that we don't need. This is Phonelosers of AMERICA damn it. I may eventually include Spanish and or French depending on demand. But no German, Portuguese, Italian, Russian and especially Japanese.

That has shrunk the size of the disk somewhat and now we have more room for fun, although we may have to turn it into a dvd. Please tell me what type of stuff should go on the live-cd/dvd, as we should be able to include videos, music, pla radio, etc.

Also, wallpaper submissions are here:

http://www.phonelosers.com/forums/index.php?topic=3921.0

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
I am started at it already.

Right now I am using Ubuntu Construction Kit to take out the languages that we don't need. This is Phonelosers of AMERICA damn it. I may eventually include Spanish and or French depending on demand. But no German, Portuguese, Italian, Russian and especially Japanese.

That has shrunk the size of the disk somewhat and now we have more room for fun, although we may have to turn it into a dvd. Please tell me what type of stuff should go on the live-cd/dvd, as we should be able to include videos, music, pla radio, etc.

Also, wallpaper submissions are here:

http://www.phonelosers.com/forums/index.php?topic=3921.0

Make every icon a picture of a cactus and every piece of text says cactus cactus cactus

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 12:44:19 AM »
I am using Ubuntu

booooooooooooooooo!

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 01:12:43 AM »
Forgetting for a moment that you hate me, what is it that you dislike about Ubuntu? I've been using 8.1 since it came out and used 8.04 before that and so far it's been a fairly decent distro. I haven't really used any other distributions though so I might just like it because it's the only one I've used. What makes slackware so awesome?
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt