Author Topic: so, slackware, right?  (Read 4477 times)

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
so, slackware, right?
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:16:14 AM »
After about a year of diehard openSUSE support, i was extreme disappointed with the recently released ver. 11.1

so i decided to finally try Slackware out, 8 years after everyone else had told me to.

man, i'm pissed for waiting so long.

obviously it's loads better than suse. i like it as much as i liked gentoo when i was briefly trying it out.

it sucks that it uses KDE instead of gnome as it's standard WM, but at least it gives me fluxbox and xfce to use instead. fluxbox i'd probably be using anyway if given the choice between it and gnome.

anyway, i'm now over endorsing openSUSE, and offically selecting slack as my distro of choice.

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
Re: so, slackware, right?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:01:37 AM »
slackware is very awesome. too bad i'm way too lazy to install drivers for my obscure laptop hardware. I think that i will install it on one of my shitty old p2s that i keep in the basement though.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
I have been switching around a lot too, it's so nice to have all these choices and with slackware you know things will work (once you went through the pain of compiling by source after finding each and every single dependency then each one of their dependencies).  I have recently been using DesktopBSD a lot, and i really like the ports system it uses.  To install something i just do cd /usr/ports/<category>/<program name> and do make && make install and it gets the source, configures it and gets dependencies and configures them then compiles it all right in front of you.  actually the more i think about it, slackware and BSD and such, the more i hate the precompiled BS of aptitude.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
with slackware you know things will work (once you went through the pain of compiling by source after finding each and every single dependency then each one of their dependencies).

i haven't had too much of a problem with this. slack has a good package system.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
with slackware you know things will work (once you went through the pain of compiling by source after finding each and every single dependency then each one of their dependencies).

i haven't had too much of a problem with this. slack has a good package system.

That's what she said!

Offline BrixQuikly

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
Good choice.  The only other Linux distro I would use aside from Slack is Arch (maybe Crux).  If the BSDs didn't have their retarded license, I'd opt for a BSD if Slack ever went down.  A lot of people complain about Slackware's spartan package management utilities; after my time trying Kubuntu where I got to learn how easy it is to break your system just through having your dependencies "resolved" for you, I quite prefer that the admin be in charge of deps a la Slackware.

Offline z3wb

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +37/-36
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »
The GPL is way more retarded than the BSD licenses, and Arch is complete garbage. Most of the packages in their repository are either out of date, compiled wrong, or just plain broken.
Huh?

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 06:11:19 AM »
GPL vs BSD BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »
ROUND 1

FIGHT!!