Author Topic: Windows Seven  (Read 14878 times)

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
Re: Windows Seven
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:19 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1.0

This one didn't sell because it gave everyone a fucking seizure.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:44 AM »
For a while, I refused to use Windows Explorer and would only use Windows File Manager.  :D

Windows 3.1 was the last version with any good games: Chip's Challenge (A puzzle game with over 100 levels which would get progressively more difficult. Though the graphics were simple, the game play made up for it.), Jezzball, Maxwell's Maniac. I still have them zipped up on a CD somewhere...

List of Microsoft Entertainment Pack Games

Edit: Don't forget about that abortion called Windows ME.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:32:00 AM by jenn »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 07:25:14 AM »

I had a laptop that came with Windows ME.  It was crashing regularly before I even put any software on it.  I wiped it out and put Windows 98 on it for a few months until XP came out.  They rushed out ME for the sole purpose of having an OS called Windows Millennium for the year 2000.

XP has served me well these past 9 years.

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
There was windows 1. Steve Ballmer was selling for JUST NINETY-NINE DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gad Seditious

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-13
    • NewsDiggers
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
I'm running it now, still have Vista set up on a separate drive. So far, it's okay. I like it much better than Vista. Boots wayyyyyyyyyyy faster and for some reason, my system temp is down a few degrees. Might just be that I don't yet have much else installed. Just Firefox and Anti-Virus. I'm still waiting to see what kind of compatibility issues will come up as I install programs. Asus and AMD/ATI have been on top of it so far and my utilities and drivers for hardware from these two have gone just fine as long as I install in the specific order that is required in certain cases; such as Graphics drivers and utilities. I have a Foxconn MoBo, if anyone is familiar with Foxconn then you know how bad they are about updates. Great MoBo, but I wish they were better about that.

If the OS isn't buggy as I get to know it I might shell out for a legit copy for my laptop.

Anyone else?

Offline SpaceBison

• Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 09:43:36 PM »
For a while, I refused to use Windows Explorer and would only use Windows File Manager.  :D

Windows 3.1 was the last version with any good games: Chip's Challenge (A puzzle game with over 100 levels which would get progressively more difficult. Though the graphics were simple, the game play made up for it.), Jezzball, Maxwell's Maniac. I still have them zipped up on a CD somewhere...

List of Microsoft Entertainment Pack Games

Rodent's Revenge was the bestest game ever!  :nonsense:

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »
Windows 3.1 = #3
Windows 95 = #4
Windows 98 = #5
Windows 2000 = #6
Windows XP = #7
Windows Vista = #8

Yeah, still doesn't work.  Maybe they're not counting 2000 and Vista because those were complete shit.  Maybe that's the reason for #7 - so they can pretend those two never existed and maybe someday we'll forget about them.

I love XP and don't see any reason at all to upgrade my OS even though Windows 7 has been getting pretty good reviews so far.  If I do upgrade it'll be at least a year after it's released, just to make sure they don't pull another Vista on us.  But in all the reviews I've read of 7, I don't really see what it does that XP doesn't do, other than maybe eat up a little more memory.

Let us count ALL of them:

Windows 1.0
Windows 2.0
Windows 2.1x [386] [486]
Windows 3.0
Windows 3.1
Windows 3.11n
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98se
Windows NT 3.1
Windows NT 3.5
Windows NT 3.51
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows CE
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows Server 2003
Windows Home Server
Windows Server 2008
Windows 7

Maybe I just forgot how to count.

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
I just about reposted almost the exact same thing I posted in this thread in February...
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline Gad Seditious

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-13
    • NewsDiggers
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 09:52:58 AM »
So, no one else is using 7, eh?...just responding to nearly a year old posts...

Also, as I understand it, there have been only 6 operating systems prior to Win7, but there were multiple versions and variations of each one. This is the 7th, entirely new, OS.
Be thankful that Microsoft can't get it right. If they did, we'd probably be in some Matrix-like situation now...and Agents don't take prank phone call lightly.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
Also, as I understand it, there have been only 6 operating systems prior to Win7, but there were multiple versions and variations of each one. This is the 7th, entirely new, OS.

we've kind of shown (in a number of ways) that this isn't the case.

i'm using the beta still, but when it expires, I'm out.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:42:04 PM by linear »

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »
So, no one else is using 7, eh?...just responding to nearly a year old posts...

Be thankful that Microsoft can't get it right. If they did, we'd probably be in some Matrix-like situation now...and Agents don't take prank phone call lightly.

No. That's bull shit still. Watch as I count without the .1 .2's.

Windows 1.0
Windows 2.0
Windows 3.0
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows CE
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows Home Server
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
Windows 7

See? They just don't know how to count. Nor the public really. Still, it's built on the Vista kernel with a few tweaks to the registry that you can do to Vista your self to make it less of a resource whore, but if you're running less than four gigs of RAM you'll still want to shoot your parents and school.

Not to mention I used Windows 98 with 128mb of RAM up until service pack 2 was released for XP. That machine had a Rage 128 Pro graphics card in it with a 950mhz processor. That thing as there for games and games only.

So when they released Service Pack 2 for XP and made it stable, I shifted for more games. Vista's been around for what, four years now? Give or take. And they still can't make the god damn thing functional.

Do you know how god damn annoying it is to have to right click and use "run as administrator" any time you go to use the command prompt? You can't ipconfig /release or /renew without being administrator in Vista. There's no "su" or "sudo" for Vista. So you need to close that screen down, right click and run as, and then do what you need to do.

Probably explains why I've always stuck with Linux for my OS of choice. Also have a hard drive with 95, 98, XP Pro and Server 2003 with CD keys from ITT. Don't go to ITT. That shit melts your balls and brains.

To close out I quote the network security teacher at ITT: "Hackers no longer use port scanning as a means of attack. It's mostly done by social engineering now that machines don't rely heavily on ports to process information."

This is why I left the school. Good day, folks.

Offline PHISH-PHREAK

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-26
    • 954 Phone Losers
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 12:32:59 AM »
Ive actually found Windows 7 to be quite pleasant, no problems installing and a much faster start up.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
My parents use it. I do like how slick it looks, and it does run much better than Vista did. However, I still don't think it compares visually to KDE 4 for overall visual effects. The connection manager seems a bit better than Vista's, and the thumbnail window preview feature functions much better than Vista's did. I'm curious to see how performance on their machine degrades after 12 months of patches and bug fixes, however, as that was what has killed every other MS release for me.

[EDIT/UPDATE]: I play around on my parent's computer whenever I'm there, and after less than a month I'm noticing that it's getting kind of choppy. There have been no new programs installed, and they almost never use their computer, but boot time is increasing and the time it takes to launch applications has been increasing. Microsoft doesn't seem to get the way system performance is impacted by their system updates. This is just another example of bloatware at its finest (not that *nix distros aren't just as guilty). Also, on a new PC (2 gb ram, not sure about processor except that it's a dual-core with onboard graphics and discrete sound), I'm amazed at how much CPU and memory is taken up by the OS itself; it's like Microsoft wants to force people to buy top of the line systems or perform upgrades to do more than very basic tasks with computers. There's absolutely no reason that OS developers should increase system requirements and demands so much; the extra computing power from new technology should be available as extra computing power, not tied up in just running the OS. That's a travesty.

Oh, and in terms of overall performance, MS Word still takes almost half a minute to load after selecting the shortcut from the Start Menu. What kind of shit is that?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:08:55 AM by MattGSX »

Offline SpaceBison

• PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
I ran the beta or rc or whatever in virtual box a while back. I didn't really care much for the way the "start" menu was laid out. I guess Ubuntu has finally sucked me in. :nonsense:

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!