Author Topic: Cell-Phone Users Can't Spot a Clown on a Unicycle  (Read 2169 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Cell-Phone Users Can't Spot a Clown on a Unicycle
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
From http://www.livescience.com/culture/091019-cell-phone-clown.html

Using a cell phone while walking is so distracting that people are likely to miss a clown riding a unicycle.

And yes, this is the result of real research, which involved mostly college-age students walking across a main campus square while a real clown performed. The research also found cell-phone users walk slower and weave about more than others.

Funny stuff aside, lead researcher Ira Hyman, Jr., of Western Washington University says the finding speaks to the dangers of cell-phone use while driving.

"If [cell-phone use] disrupts something as simple as walking, which I'm assuming most of these people have been doing a long time and are pretty proficient at generally, we know it's going to be a really difficult task driving," Hyman said.

The article is much longer, so go read it.  Kinda interesting.

Offline kwantamphlux

• Gentleman of Ill Moral Integrity
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-3
Re: Cell-Phone Users Can't Spot a Clown on a Unicycle
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
One time I saw a clown on a unicycle talking on his cell phone... he didn't see me though.
Camouflage is the colour of cowardice!

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:58:04 PM »
kind of stupid, because people aren't apt to be careful or alert when they're walking because there's not much real danger. i'm sure the results would be the same as if these kids put on some headphones and listened to music while they walked... but if they listen to music and drove they'd still be fully capable drivers.

that's not to say there's no danger whatsoever to talking on the phone while driving, but this is a stupid way to try to prove it.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »
i'm sure the results would be the same as if these kids put on some headphones and listened to music while they walked...

Did you even read the article, linear? 

"Compared with individuals walking alone without phones, those walking in pairs, or folks listening to iPods, cell-phone users walked more slowly, changed direction and weaved more often and were less likely to acknowledge other individuals with a nod or wave."

God, you dummy.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »
you know i can't read, asshole!