Author Topic: DS Linux  (Read 5378 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
DS Linux
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
So I hadn't used DS Linux for almost a year, but just re-downloaded and reinstalled. I have to say, things have certainly gotten better. New features:

1. The microphone works now, and you can record and playback audio.
2. Beta stages for a semi-graphical browser.
3. Beta for a very simple desktop environment.
4. profile-based wnc
5. I haven't run out of memory yet.

There are some annoying features, though. For example, DHCP almost never works with me. I'm not always in a situation where I can log into the router I'm trying to log into, set up static IPs, and then log in (IE, school). That's fine for me at work, but that's about it.

When processes hang, opening a new virtual terminal and trying to kill the process almost never works. This generally happens for me with Links and when trying to ping a router to verify I'm connected. I run ps to get the correct pid. But I still can't kill the bitch.

I also can't figure out how to kill my network without restarting the DS. Why would I want to do this? Because networking drains my battery, and I only want to use wi-fi when I have to. I don't want to have to restart my computer every time I go offline. I don't have to do that with my laptop. GRRR

[EDIT] Nevermind. There's a command within wnc to turn off networking. However, when I connect to a network through DHCP, I log into my router and see I've been assigned an IP, but I still can't use the internet. I try pinging the network and it just hangs indefinitely. I try opening links and it hangs indefinitely. Weak.
That's about it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:50:12 AM by MattGSX »

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
Re: DS Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »
is there a route command? does your dhcp client add your DNS properly to it's config file? e.g. /etc/resolv.conf ?