Author Topic: Let's Stalk People  (Read 18283 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Let's Stalk People
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
It's getting easier and easier to stalk people, using the miracle of social networking sites.  Sites like Foursquare and Yelp let you actually check into places as you arrive, so complete strangers on the net know exactly where you are.  The website pleaserobme.com helps home burglars find out when people in their city are away from their homes.  Lets use these sites to follow people around their cities and pester them with phone calls when they arrive.  It'll be hilarious!

I'll modify this post soon to contain a few basic rules, since this is a public forum.  Rules like not threatening people or faking serious emergencies to get their attention.  And not to stalk them for realz.  But here are some web sites to get us started.

Please Rob Me Twitter results from Foursquare, showing when people leave and where they're going.

Foursquare Lets you check into places when you arrive, so that you can feel important about your busy social life.

Twitter Search This Twitter search shows you basically the same thing you see on pleaserobme.com.

Yelp A popular business review site which now also features check ins.

Make a new thread in this board for each person you stalk.  If that gets out of hand, we'll figure out a different way to organize it.  It would be cool to include a phone call with your stalking, but I guess a transcript would work too.  Most Twitterers are such attention whores that they'll post about being stalked too.  Or they might Facebook it, so check their Facebooks too and post their reactions in the thread you create.

GO!  (I'm going to try and do a few right now and I'll post them soon.)

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
Re: Let's Stalk People
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
Don't forget blippy, twitter for your credit card. no, rly.

http://blippy.com/

Some interesting accounts

Matt Cutts - Google
Leo Laporte - TechTV
Pud The infamous inventor
Ilona His gf or wife or something
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:11:59 PM by jenn »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »
Don't forget blippy, twitter for your credit card. no, rly.

http://blippy.com/

Wow Jenn.  That is nuts.  This is going to be a fun project.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
https://www.loopt.com/ is another foursquare-like service.  I bet a search on twitter for "loopt" would find more people checking in.  Not that there aren't more than enough already with foursquare.

Offline roche

• Long Time Lamer
  • Baby Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
This is the best idea ever. and it is why I love you Brad.  *rainbowsmiley*

Offline roche

• Long Time Lamer
  • Baby Phone Loser
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:43:06 PM »
Stupid Google Voice will only allow me to record incoming and not outgoing calls. Does anyone know a way around this?

Offline grishnav

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-2
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »
First try. Not very funny. Unedited. She puts me on hold for about two minutes, sorry about that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/397473/Audio/2010-02-18%2020-17-39.mp3

http://twitter.com/mariannemyers

We should organize on the bridge, since I'm still banned from IRC. :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:28:28 PM by grishnav »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
Once we stalk someone, the idea is to stalk them again somewhere else, maybe in a day or two.  So how can we find out immediately if the same person posts another foursquare update without subscribing to them?  Do a Twitter search on them and then save the RSS feed into your RSS reader.  Like to keep an eye on Gil, we go here:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=gilv

From that page there's an RSS link that we can add to our reader.  The only problem with that is that Google Reader takes awhile to update sometimes so he might be gone by the time we get the message.  Is there a better way for this?  Maybe a phone-based Twitter app that can keep an eye on search terms?  Or something that will email you when a hit comes in?

Offline roche

• Long Time Lamer
  • Baby Phone Loser
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:46 PM »
Stupid Google Voice will only allow me to record incoming and not outgoing calls. Does anyone know a way around this?

My "Bright" idea was to get a unlimited Skype account that I was going to pay with Paypal and just record everything that way. Skype says you have to validate your account with a credit card if you pay with Paypal. If I wanted to give them a credit card I would just give them a fucking credit card.

On a quest now find a new method......

Offline thefinn93

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-2
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
Once we stalk someone, the idea is to stalk them again somewhere else, maybe in a day or two.  So how can we find out immediately if the same person posts another foursquare update without subscribing to them?  Do a Twitter search on them and then save the RSS feed into your RSS reader.  Like to keep an eye on Gil, we go here:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=gilv

From that page there's an RSS link that we can add to our reader.  The only problem with that is that Google Reader takes awhile to update sometimes so he might be gone by the time we get the message.  Is there a better way for this?  Maybe a phone-based Twitter app that can keep an eye on search terms?  Or something that will email you when a hit comes in?

http://bit.ly/aCcCEQ might do the trick (I haven't used it yet, my torrents are making the internet too slow to get it), but try it out. there's also TwitterFox for those of us who still use firefox

Offline thefinn93

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-2
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
Also there's probably an assortment of Desktop software to do that. If your one of those damn haxors and use loonix (and gnome) you could get Twitux, create a new account, then follow the person you want to be alerted of.  Or of course you could just have it text you updates....

EDIT: Gwibber (I got it from the Ubuntu Repositories) allows you to search for stuff on Twitter, Identi.ca, Facebook, etc. and will notify you if anything new comes in (check every few minutes). I searched for 4sq.com and promptly got like over 9000 notifications.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:02:16 PM by thefinn93 »

Offline grishnav

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-2
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »

My "Bright" idea was to get a unlimited Skype account that I was going to pay with Paypal and just record everything that way. Skype says you have to validate your account with a credit card if you pay with Paypal. If I wanted to give them a credit card I would just give them a fucking credit card.

On a quest now find a new method......

I've been curious to see if you could verify with a prepaid Visa. Bought with Cash, you'd be pretty anonymous...

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
I've been curious to see if you could verify with a prepaid Visa. Bought with Cash, you'd be pretty anonymous...

Prepaid Visas don't usually have a zip code or address associated with them, so that might be a problem.  I tried getting Vanilla Visa to tell me what zip code I should use and nobody there could tell me.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 01:56:36 AM »
I use prepaid visa debit cards for everything I buy on the internet and I know that with the ones I get you can go to the website and register them with whatever info you want. Go for the ones that say "A gift for you".
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
I use prepaid visa debit cards for everything I buy on the internet and I know that with the ones I get you can go to the website and register them with whatever info you want. Go for the ones that say "A gift for you".

Which brand do you use?  And doesn't it cost $5.00/card or something?  That's a pretty big surcharge to buy things on the internet.  You need a PayPal debit card.