Author Topic: PLA Book update  (Read 21186 times)

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
Re: PLA Book update
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 02:28:51 PM »
RBCP should make another "Taking Over TacoBell Drive Thru" video. That'd get us a lot of registrants.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline n00blet

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-3
  • I'm too cool to pass school
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
i think you should start hacking street lights
330-353-9202 is n00blets number

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
I almost deleted Baconstrip's post when he first made it, but the forums are pretty dead so fuck it.  You still suck, BS.

I'm halfway through proof #7 and so far it's been nothing but nitpicking corrections.  And RTF promises his illustrations today.  If things continue this smoothly, you preorderers might start seeing your copies a week before December 1st.

Any ideas on what to do with all these proof copies?  I've marked them all up pretty bad with pen except for this last one.  I'm thinking Goodwill donations.

I'd love to see/get a proof.  Maybe have a contest for them or give them away to callers and such?  I'll be pre-ordering the actual book next Friday when I get paid.  Also I may be able to donate a few clams so I can get access to those secret, taboo threads that don't exist.  Naw, fuck it.  I want a shirt instead.

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »
Has anyone tried this:
Firesheep app lets you hack Facebook, Twitter accounts

"Eric Butler, a US-based freelance web application and software developer, has just released an application on his blog called "Firesheep" that exposes the vulnerabilities of open wireless networks.

Firesheep allows a user to view and even edit the account of anyone using Facebook or Twitter while logged into an unsecure WiFi network.

According to Butler, this intrusion is possible because most websites —including Facebook and Twitter— only encrypt the user's initial login..."

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/204444/firesheep-app-lets-you-hack-facebook-twitter-accounts

Offline BaconStrips

• Section 8 and it's so great!
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +14/-9
  • ring ring ring
    • Phone Pride World Wide - Prank calls by Bobby Pyn
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 05:27:55 PM »
on heard about this on the radio last Sunday while driving.
free prank calls" border="0
Listen to my prank calls for FREE - Bobby Pyn Prank Calls

Offline FuyuKitsune

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
The technique is called "sidejacking", but that's quite off-topic here.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 07:47:45 PM »
I just ordered what should be the very last proof of the book!  I paid an extra $20 to have it shipped here within a couple days instead of the normal 10 days so I can start ordering real copies earlier.  I'm just going to be giving this one a quick look over and then I'll be ordering all the copies for you people that preordered.  Looks like this is all going to happen before December 1st.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
Huzzah! Maybe I should go get a prepaid credit card with which to preorder a copy. Or I could just wait for someone to scan it, turn it into a pdf and upload it as a torrent.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
I'll be preording this Friday (Nov.12) or is that too late for a preorder?  Not that it really matters, I'm preordering or ordering it Friday whatever the status of it is.  I can't wait to read it!  I've been pouring over all the pages I can on the PLA and RBCP's archive site and everything is entirely entertaining.  This book is going to be a hoot! 

Have you thought about numbering the preorder copies so people could post their book number with where they live and such?  I know you spoke of tracking them in the secondary market but I don't recall an tracking plan for people who order them right off.

Thanks again, all.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
Friday isn't too early for a preorder.  The $10 preorder thing is good until I take down the form for it and raise the price.  Glad you're excited about the book.

I'm not going to be able to manage this tracking thing before the book comes out.  If I did, it would just delay the book further.  I might set up some kind of tracking system soon, though.  Maybe I could have a stamp made for the first 50 books that read "first edition, copy #001" then 002, 003, etc.  It'd make them special!

So another book update...I received the last proof and there was a tiny problem with it.  The copy I received was from a previous file I'd uploaded to them, even though I'd uploaded the latest file before I ordered the copy.  I don't know if that makes sense, but I'm trying to blame THEM for the screwup and not myself.  Anyway, I corrected the mistake and ordered another proof and paid the extra $20 again so that it'll get here super quick.  I should be able to order a bunch of copies this Monday, which should arrive the following Monday.  Then I'll start sending out all the preorders.

Offline DBK

• Gay people love stereotypes!
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +14/-8
  • TELECOM-MUPISSED OFF@! HAR HAR
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:47 PM »
The first edition stamp idea is kind of neat.

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
The first edition stamp idea is kind of neat.

For what its worth, I agree.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
Okay, I'll try and do the stamp thing.  What should it say?  Maybe this:

PHONE LOSERS OF AMERICA
FIRST EDITION BOOK
COPY #

I'll see what I can get made at Staples.  I could stick the PLA logo on it too.  In 50 years, these numbered books will be worth BILLIONS!

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
Actually what you've proposed for the stamping would be general and standard. It's pretty cool. Maybe, however, you can do the same segment with the Copy#, but get a blank line under it so you can autograph it for the pre-orders.  You don't know. You very well could make millions off of this and put the Anarchist Cookbook out of print!

But what I'm curious about because I really haven't read through the forums/care to read through/checked anything/basically been completely vacant from here for nearly a year, is how you were able to get the book published? Rather, are you funding your own printing and shipping costs? What company are you going through for this? Can I ask costs?

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 05:02:35 PM »
Okay, I'll try and do the stamp thing.  What should it say?  Maybe this:

PHONE LOSERS OF AMERICA
FIRST EDITION BOOK
COPY #

I'll see what I can get made at Staples.  I could stick the PLA logo on it too.  In 50 years, these numbered books will be worth BILLIONS!

That sounds great!  Maybe work in cactus, like maybe "Special Cactus Edition Book" or "Cactus #"?  Then you could start a thread where folks post their cactus numbers and general info for future trackings.  The tracking may take care of itself.

Actually what you've proposed for the stamping would be general and standard. It's pretty cool. Maybe, however, you can do the same segment with the Copy#, but get a blank line under it so you can autograph it for the pre-orders.

I like this idea too if it isn't too much trouble.  I would certainly wait a little longer to get my copy in the mail if this were a possibility.