Author Topic: PLA book tracking  (Read 3760 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
PLA book tracking
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »
Yesterday I came up with this wacky idea...wouldn't it be cool if when you found a PLA book at a garage sale or used book store or a friend gave you a copy, you could enter a serial number in the book and track who owned the book before you?  Kind of like www.wheresgeorge.com, but just for the PLA book.

The way it would work is there'd be a page at the end of the book where the first owner of the book makes up a serial number and writes it into a space in the book.  The serial number could be like year/month/day/person's initials/random four digits so like mine might be 20101030bac4831.  Then the book owner goes to a website, like maybe phonelosers.org/book/track/, and enters that serial number along with other information such as his name, city, where he got the book, etc.  All future owners of the book are encouraged to go to the website and enter the same serial number with their own name, city, etc.

I realize the only flaw in this plan is that the PLA book is so fucking awesome that nobody will ever sell it after they've bought it.  But it could be useful for when people lose the PLA book or they become devout Christians who vow to only read family friendly material.  They'd probably just burn my book with their youth group anyway.

What's everyone think?  Great idea or stupid idea?

Offline n00blet

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-3
  • I'm too cool to pass school
Re: PLA book tracking
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:57:16 AM »
its a great idea but would be better suited to a book like harry potter or twilight that will change hands frequently... i dont think hobos have computers so there not going to be able to enter the number
330-353-9202 is n00blets number

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:03:18 AM »
I could make this something that goes into all books.  A website such as trackthisbook.com could provide PDF printouts that you glue into the front of a book that explains its being tracked and directs people to the tracking website.  Then I'll patent the idea so when Amazon sees what an amazing idea it is, they'll have to pay me billions for it.  Soon after that, publishers will start including the tracking form in their books when they're printed.  That's how it all works out in my fantasy.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:15:45 PM »
sounds like a good idea....

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:42:27 AM »
I could make this something that goes into all books.  A website such as trackthisbook.com could provide PDF printouts that you glue into the front of a book that explains its being tracked and directs people to the tracking website.  Then I'll patent the idea so when Amazon sees what an amazing idea it is, they'll have to pay me billions for it.  Soon after that, publishers will start including the tracking form in their books when they're printed.  That's how it all works out in my fantasy.

This how toilet paper became a household item. True story.
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
If we are tracking the pre-orders, I got number 063, inscribed with: "Jeff - The completion of this book was made possible by all the hard drugs you sent to me. Thanks!
-Brad "RBCP" Carter

063 will be in Milwaukee, WI and I'll update 0063's location if I ever move.

So can I stop sending you hard drugs now?  I'd love to quit the second job I took to do that.  I could probably afford soft drugs with one job if that is acceptable.

Should there be a separate thread for this?