Author Topic: squirrel lines  (Read 3517 times)

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
squirrel lines
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »
I'd never heard of squirrel lines before reading this.

"EARLY in the 20th century, American ranchers seeking contact with their neighbours configured their barbed-wire fences into primitive telephone networks. Often connecting only a handful of farms, the so-called "squirrel lines" were the butt of jokes at the Bell company - the nation's telephone monopoly - until Bell realised that rural communities were potentially lucrative markets. At first the monopolists attempted to take over by attacking the farmers' equipment. Then Bell came up with a more subtle solution: offer the rural companies long-distance access, effectively absorbing them in the process.

Relating this tale in The Master Switch, Tim Wu argues that the Bell saga is as relevant to the future as it is to the past. "To understand the forces threatening the internet as we know it," he writes, "we must understand how information technologies give rise to industries, and industries to empires." Wu is the rare writer capable of exhuming history and also interpreting current affairs. In this profound and important book, he excels at both...."

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2010/11/anarchy-or-empire-the-internet-in-the-balance.html

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: squirrel lines
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:40:40 PM »
That's kind of awesome.  There was a story about 10 years ago about this farmer who was using a few acres of barb wire fence to run internet to his barn.  It wasn't phone line or cat5, but that coax stuff that people used to network computers before cat5 caught on.  The story said that it worked great as long as it wasn't raining or cows didn't lean on the fence.

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:02:41 PM »
That's crazy.  I need to look that up now.

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
I think people would appreciate the Internet more if it were always at the mercy of cows.
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:33:06 AM »
I think people would appreciate the Internet more if it were always at the mercy of cows.

That's very clever!
(Sorry I am just seeing this now)

Offline n00blet

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-3
  • I'm too cool to pass school
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »
Download has failed please check your internet connection for cows - ATT connection helper
330-353-9202 is n00blets number

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »
That's kind of awesome.  There was a story about 10 years ago about this farmer who was using a few acres of barb wire fence to run internet to his barn.  It wasn't phone line or cat5, but that coax stuff that people used to network computers before cat5 caught on.  The story said that it worked great as long as it wasn't raining or cows didn't lean on the fence.
This is the stuff.