Author Topic: Race Is On to 'Fingerprint' Phones, PCs  (Read 1585 times)

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
Race Is On to 'Fingerprint' Phones, PCs
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »
Source: Wall Street Journal

IRVINE, Calif.—David Norris wants to collect the digital equivalent of fingerprints from every computer, cellphone and TV set-top box in the world.

He's off to a good start. So far, Mr. Norris's start-up company, BlueCava Inc., has identified 200 million devices. By the end of next year, BlueCava says it expects to have cataloged one billion of the world's estimated 10 billion devices.

Advertisers no longer want to just buy ads. They want to buy access to specific people. So, Mr. Norris is building a "credit bureau for devices" in which every computer or cellphone will have a "reputation" based on its user's online behavior, shopping habits and demographics. He plans to sell this information to advertisers willing to pay top dollar for granular data about people's interests and activities.

-------

It's tough even for sophisticated Web surfers to tell if their gear is being fingerprinted. Even if people modify their machines—adding or deleting fonts, or updating software—fingerprinters often can still recognize them. There's not yet a way for people to delete fingerprints that have been collected. In short, fingerprinting is largely invisible, tough to fend off and semi-permanent.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
Re: Race Is On to 'Fingerprint' Phones, PCs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »
I figured this was already underway. All this is is high tech spam on a grand scale. Worse yet it'll be legal for Wal-Mart to flood your cellphone with text messages that you can recharge the number of texts on your pre-paid phone. Wouldn't that be lovely? I'm already a fan of all the bots I see in some of my online games that come in and advertise for certain products like there's no tomorrow. Not like medication, no. For Coke, or Nvidia, Pepsi, Ford, et cetera.