Author Topic: PLA Audio Book  (Read 11969 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
PLA Audio Book
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »
Last night on TPS, someone asked about the PLA audio book.  I'm hoping to have readers of PLA contribute audio for individual chapters, then I'll put them all up on the website for everyone to download for free.  I'll accept multiple versions of chapters so people can choose which one they want to read to them.  Eventually I can string the best of them together in a single mp3 file for people to download.  Or string together multiple versions of the book.

RTF said he would send me audio of his foreword.  Evie said she'd do the cactus chapter.  murd0c promises to do one.  I'm sure I'll pick one or two at random for myself.  I think having the PLA book read to you by PLA people would be awesome.  So to make this happen, pick your favorite chapter of PLA, record yourself reading it and email it to me at rbcp@phonelosers.org.

• Record at 128kbps.  Or at least 64kbps mono.  Do whatever you can do reduce background noise and white noise.
  • Don't call my voicemail and read a chapter to me using your Cricket wireless phone with its 5kbps audio.  I won't accept submissions this way.  I WON'T!
  • I'll probably add any audio chapter sent to me as long as you've put effort into it and aren't just being insane at me.
  • While it's not necessary, feel free to add sound effects and royalty-free music or backgrounds to enhance your story.  Act it out with several people if you want.  Just don't stray too far from the original text.

If the entire audiobook gets finished this way and the audio sounds good enough, maybe I can put it up on Amazon or other audiobook sites for people to download.  I promise not to profit from it though.  I'll make it available for free or the minimum price they allow.

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
Re: PLA Audio Book
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »
What a swell idea.  I'll volunteer to do the Curtis the Superhacker chapter, at least.  I'll probably do a version of the cactus chapter too and some of the History Lesson entries. May I use sound clips of the Curtis calls where appropriate? 

Due to the cyclical nature of the book, maybe RBCP can do at least the first and last chapter? 

Offline nwbell

• catsex and dead hookers?
  • Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-0
  • My bid is five... five CACTI! BWAHAHA!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
If you send me a copy of the book, I'd be happy to make some high-quality recordings of myself reading it. Seriously. ;D
I am an internet haxor. I haxor the internet. It's a pretty good job, million a year plus bennies. So, yeah.
PLA-Minnesota... "A Distant Memory To The Unfortunate Few" • (206) 350-CACTI

Offline Q_

• PR rat-bastard
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-7
  • Keep hands and Feet Inside the booth at all times
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
What about using some Text-To-Speech Audio Converters?
"Just shut up, Shut up now."
-{{<Q>}}

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »

The Kindle already does that and it sounds awful.

Offline Satcom

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »
Long time listener, first time poster. I call dibs on reading the Fred Meyer chapter. I will send you a sample by Wednesday night.

Offline I-baLL

• OMG Mod
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-7
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:45 PM »
I'll do a chapter or two. Many times when somebody has heard my speaking voice they have told me that I have a face for radio. That means I'll be perfect at it!

Offline SpaceBison

• Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
  • Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »

The Kindle already does that and it sounds awful.
Oh darn, I wanted to feed the cactus chapter in through festival using the British female voice. :nonsense:

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »
Long time listener, first time poster. I call dibs on reading the Fred Meyer chapter. I will send you a sample by Wednesday night.

YOU LIED TO ME!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
http://www.phonelosers.org/book/audio/

There's the official page for the audiobook.  I just did the Leaving chapter and put it on there, hoping to motivate others to hurry the hell up and submit their own.  I hope that listening to me breathing heavy into the microphone and slurring my words and sounding bored and making horrible edits will help everyone realize that your recording doesn't have to be perfect to go on this page.

It took me about 20 minutes to read the chapter, and then about 30 minutes to edit it all down to 10 minutes.  (The extra 10 minutes of reading was because I kept pausing to check Facebook.)  So it shouldn't take up too much of your time to do your own.

Kingmob: Yes, you can use CLJ clips for your chapter.  Use anything from the PLA site to create your chapter!  Just do your best not to use commercial sounds so the finished project can be submitted to audiobook sites.

NWbell: NICE TRY.  If you email me and ask nicely enough, though, I'll probably send you a PDF of the book.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:12:14 PM by rbcp »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
http://www.phonelosers.org/book/audio/ now has a 2nd chapter up, read by OhEmGee.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »
As usual, Sebastian L. Anderson is ahead of the curve. Back when I was commenting every entry on RBCP's blog I decided to record myself reading his 'Homelessness' page. Not sure why. I have no life.

The book version is just a few pages long, so I shall re-read it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:30:34 PM by Sebastian L. Anderson »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »
There's a few more chapters of the audio book up, including a chapter read by Rappy McRapperson, complete with breaks for water and Jesus chanting.

http://www.phonelosers.org/book/audio/

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
Is this an ongoing project?  If so, I can start on missing chapters this weekend.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
Is this an ongoing project?  If so, I can start on missing chapters this weekend.

Yeah, I'm still accepting chapters.  Please just do one though.  I'm hoping to have a different person for every chapter.