Other Stuff That Has Little To Do With PLA > Techinical Shit

Hosting a mail server

(1/3) > >>

ApprenticePhreak:
I'd like to host a mail server again. But I would only have me as a user. But I don't want the machine to go to waste. Plus I liked using CentOS. Is it worth it to make a machine to do the work Thunderbird and Gmail do for me already?

RTF:
It could be more worth it if the machine you'll be running is overpowered enough to do something else in addition to serving your mail, or if it runs hot enough to dry your socks or reheat your dinner.

trevelyn:
linux + mail = fail.  Let someone else do it for ye, like google. ;) The spam is outrageous, configuration is enough to pull your hair out, and you are only adding insecurity to your boxen.  Do you have a cool domain name, er something?  If not, just use Google!

rbcp:
Set up a cool asterisk system for us instead.

handl3r:

--- Quote from: trevelyn on January 12, 2011, 06:55:30 AM ---linux + mail = fail.  Let someone else do it for ye, like google. ;) The spam is outrageous, configuration is enough to pull your hair out, and you are only adding insecurity to your boxen.  Do you have a cool domain name, er something?  If not, just use Google!

--- End quote ---
You can still get Google to do your email on your custom domain for free with Google Apps. As long as you have less than 50 users, you are good to go. http://www.google.com/apps/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version