Author Topic: I need a webhost that won't suspend my service  (Read 18532 times)

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
Re: I need a webhost that won't suspend my service
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 04:42:46 AM »
I think we can all agree that this guy isn't much of a threat to any company in reality.. but these days businesses don't live in reality.. if someone threatens them legally, most businesses make it their policy to appease the threat and avoid potential problems, whether its justified or not. So this guy threatening to start up some legal trouble for a webhost is probably all it takes for most hosts to not want to risk it.

Especially with larger hosts like these.. they're probably just like any other large company. They have global policies and everything goes by the policy. There's no case by case basis..
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 05:31:09 AM »
Exactly what Jedi mind powers does this asshole have that so many different webhosts will jump through hoops just because he asks?
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 05:34:43 AM »
...if someone threatens them legally, most businesses make it their policy to appease the threat and avoid potential problems, whether its justified or not. So this guy threatening to start up some legal trouble for a webhost is probably all it takes for most hosts to not want to risk it.

The burden of proof for "slander" (wouldn't it actually be libel in this case?) is pretty tough meet. In my experience people in such a position laugh off such threats for just that reason. Unless he has the courtroom finesse of  Arnie Becker or the Donald's deep pockets, he's not meeting that burden.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:38:13 AM by AmishGangsta »
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »
Well, he's obviously effective at what he's doing, and he's also obviously not very smart.. my experience in working for a large corporation tells me that companies tend to play it safe in this kind of situation, rather than risk a lawsuit when they don't really have anything to gain from the risk

Not that I agree, but that seems to be how it goes

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
So far I haven't heard anything from Jason since I set up the fan page for him.  I really love that this page exists because I'm certain that it's really upsetting him.  People keep sending me new links for old Jason stuff too, for me to add to the page.  Yesterday, Luvox Phreak (she used to be a PLA regular here about 10 years ago) gave me links to his current Linked-in page and says that she's going to do reference checks on him today at the places he claims to have worked at. 

Jason is such a huge retard for bringing all this attention to himself.  If he'd just left my host alone, we would have completely forgotten about him by now.  He'd just be some guy that was talked about once on an old episode of TPS.  Instead he's caused all this to happen.  My fan page is slowly working it's way to the top of Google when you search for his name and will remain there forever.  You win, Jason!

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
I remember a decade (or less) ago you can type dumb motherfucker and websites for George Bush will be at the top. You should do the same for Jason.

Planet Wally: Pranks has instructions on how you can do this.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
I remember a decade (or less) ago you can type dumb motherfucker and websites for George Bush will be at the top. You should do the same for Jason.

Planet Wally: Pranks has instructions on how you can do this.

MIB

We did the same thing with Meatphone (NOW IN TURKEY, CHICKEN, AND KOSHER PORK FLAVORS!) a few years back. I don't think google bombing works now though. I'm pretty sure they fixed it.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline Sudo

• Career Infosec Minion
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-0
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
So far I haven't heard anything from Jason since I set up the fan page for him.  I really love that this page exists because I'm certain that it's really upsetting him.  People keep sending me new links for old Jason stuff too, for me to add to the page.  Yesterday, Luvox Phreak (she used to be a PLA regular here about 10 years ago) gave me links to his current Linked-in page and says that she's going to do reference checks on him today at the places he claims to have worked at. 

Jason is such a huge retard for bringing all this attention to himself.  If he'd just left my host alone, we would have completely forgotten about him by now.  He'd just be some guy that was talked about once on an old episode of TPS.  Instead he's caused all this to happen.  My fan page is slowly working it's way to the top of Google when you search for his name and will remain there forever.  You win, Jason!

I'm bacckkkkkkk (LuvoxPhreak back in the day). I forgot to reference check those jobs. Been busy with studying physics for a final.  I'll do them tomorrow. Ideally, it would be nice to get some lowly employee on the phone that knew him and could tell me what they really think of him
"If you give a hacker a new toy, the first thing he'll do is take it apart to figure out how it works."
-Jamie Zawinski

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 01:16:24 PM »
GOOD NEWS! My J.H. fan page is #1 on the Google results for both of his names!

BAD NEWS!  Here's an email I got today: 

My name is J...   J....... and I am writing to file a formal complaint
regarding a customer using your DNS services for the domain
'cactiradio.com'.

The customer, Brad Carter, operator of Phone Losers has created a
defamatory website about me at the url http://www.cactiradio.com/jason
which contains defamatory content about me including audio files of
recorded phone conversations of my family without their knowledge or
consent, photos of me that he obtained without my knowledge or
permission and libelous statements about me.

This person refuses to remove this content about me which has had an
affect on my personal and professional life.  Therefore, this is a
request from me asking you to take immediate action and remove this
customers services pursuant to your Terms & Conditions under Acceptable
Use/Illegal Activity as cited below.

Uploading or linking to any content that violates another's right of
publicity or privacy.

Distributing hate speech, or any other content that is obscene, abusing,
which could be considered libelous and defamatory.

I am prepared to take legal action if necessary however I feel this can
be resolved in a peaceful manner between us which is what I prefer.

I ask that you keep this complaint as well as my personal contact
information confidential by not providing it to your customer as that
could cause me more harassment.

A couple of months ago I switched cactiradio.com over to a new host for reasons unrelated to Jason, so I knew this would happen eventually.  I've got a couple of new hosts I'm looking into now, but I'll be switching back to PRQ if I don't find anything good.  If anyone has any other good suggestions for "free speech" hosts, post them in here!

Also, HAHAHAHA, my host didn't just yank down my page like he requested AND they forwarded me his letter just like he asked them not to.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »
recorded phone conversations of my family without their knowledge or
consent

so he lives in one of those states where consent of all parties is required?

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/quick.html

or is he trying to go after you based on the

Are there
additional
penalties for
disclosing or
publishing
information?

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
Why'd you switch from PRQ? Just curious because I have an ongoing consideration to use them..

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »
Why'd you switch from PRQ? Just curious because I have an ongoing consideration to use them..

PRQ's stats system didn't work and they didn't seem to have any intention of fixing it.  I also didn't like that I couldn't set up multiple domains on it.  The last time Jason talked to me, he seemed to be done with the whole thing, so I figured he wouldn't notice that it moved to a new server anytime soon.  It lasted nearly 2 months off of PRQ before Jason noticed and sent his letter.  I'm talking to another host right now and if he doesn't work out, I'll go back to PRQ this weekend.