Author Topic: PLA BBS  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Q_

• PR rat-bastard
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-7
  • Keep hands and Feet Inside the booth at all times
PLA BBS
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
Hey Everyone,
I'm building a BBS! It'll run on Hamachi (Free) and IE5+ (Yes, I know, I'm going to hell for that). All you need to do is download a BAT file and connect via Hamachi! I'm also working on getting a dial-in node up using Google Voice, If anyone wants to send a number with "BBS" in the title, pref. in the 505 AC, PM me. I need ideas though! I'm just setting up a few web pages that i made a few years ago. Just email me with the content & HTML file and i'll post it. I would use Telnet, but my ISP doesn't allow tunneling.
SO EMAIL\PM WITH YOUR IDEAS\CONTENT! IF YOU WANT TO DONATE A MODEM, EMAIL ME!

BTW, The Dial-in line will only be active for a certain time. I was thinking 10:00PM -> 12:00PM, 2:00AM ->4:00AM.
"Just shut up, Shut up now."
-{{<Q>}}

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
Re: PLA BBS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
This will never work.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »
Thanks for making a list to remind me why everyone quit BBSing 15 years ago.

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:00:48 AM »
they quit bbsing because of the speed, and all the noobs couldn't stand teh text interface.

the intrawebs has a highspeed connection for all that members only pr0n on the bbs's and a faster xfer rate for the 0day warez.

theres even more connections for multiperson chat than any of the old multi line dial in bbs's..

bbs'in was still funner. 

bbsins bout the content.  not the gui.  course the leet ansi graphics did rule.

most folks have more goo than content nowerdays.

was that a list or babbling?

./me looks up
-rubberducky

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »
BBS 2.0
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »
Thanks for making a list to remind me why I dropped out of 12th grade instead of 2nd.

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
i grad-gee-ated near last in my class.  but i still grad-gee-ated.

./me smoochies

mmkay, bu bye.
-rubberducky

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:43:26 AM »
I think people quit BBSing, not because of the speed (speed was all the same during the transition) but because the internet is just better.  The primary reasons for using a BBS were the message areas, the games and the files.  By today's standards, their message areas are clumsy and hard to follow, the games are boring and there isn't a file you can't find on the internet.  Forums and blogs and threads on Facebook are so much better than the message areas on a BBS.  It seems like the only reason to return to BBSing today would be for the nostalgia.

A couple years ago I discovered that there were a ton of people maintaining old BBSes via telnet still, so I downloaded a telnet client that could handle ANSI graphics and spent several hours visiting random systems that ran things like WWIV and Renegade.  It was kind of neat, just for the nostalgia, but I haven't been back to any of them since that day.  All of them were dead.  The message areas all seemed to average about 1 message per month and every message said something like, "Oohhh, this brings back so many memories for me!"

Not to hate on your BBS idea, Q.  I will definitely check it out when you set it up as long as it's accessible via the internet.  Dialing in via a phone line isn't going to happen for me since none of my computers have modems in them (not even the old ones) and I don't have a phone line in my house.  (MagicJack doesn't count.)  I don't know how much luck you'll have getting a data connection to work over VoIP.  I remember people trying to do things like that on Vonage years ago and it just didn't work.  I can't even send faxes with MagicJack.

It could work, though.  Cal used to have a telnet PLA BBS running and people used it often, mostly just to play the games he had running.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
Even forums are so dead these days, I can't imagine a BBS getting any usage.. I guess you'd have the advantage of not worrying about spam bots   :D 

But when even the PLA forum isn't terribly active, I'm not sure setting the BBS up would be worth the effort. Maybe that work could be reapplied to something more useful to what is already built, or something more modern. I know its fun to reflect on the days when things were different, but what about staking out the new ground and staying relevant..

It sucks that forums don't get a lot of usage any more.. so much better than facebook, when it comes to group communication

Offline Q_

• PR rat-bastard
  • PLA Underling
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
Well the "BBS" I'm building is really just a shared folder filled with HTML and BAT files. When you log on it just opens up a HTML file and lets you go on from there, It really is BBS 2.0. Plus I made it YEARS AGO. So it looks like crap. The main point of it is to allow people to connect to a more, less restricted (Sorry RBCP) environment. It's more of nostalgia and fun than anything else. It's like a website, but Hyper-local. I'm trying to work on a chat & forum software but It's not working great...
I'll post some some screen-caps ladder so you guys can see it. It's more or more underground pourposi than anything else.
-{{<Q>}}

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
Sounds dumb. Still.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
maybe check out setting up a darknet instead
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:50:23 AM by markov »

Offline Q_

• PR rat-bastard
  • PLA Underling
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 09:12:39 PM »
That's  kinda what i'm going for, put i don't know how to create a "CACTUS" protocol. I was thinking of a network of interlinked computers, each with accessible HTML pages and hyper-linked together. (Why does that sound familiar?)
Basically, why NOT create our own network? We can all write basic (Not the Language)  software, right? We can all produce software for it. Each owner of a "BBS" can communicating with each other and set-up a mail network (Maybe using
http://www.burrotech.com/officemail.php this? Someone just needs to install it and keep it running. (This pro only takes like 12k of RAM). Why not? Let's create CACTUSnet!!
-{{<Q>}}

Offline Jkwest

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »
And then find the exploits in our own crappy software!

Offline hackrat

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
If you are going to build a PLA BBS, try using Synchronet BBS software. And for the ANSI art at the beginning, just use FIGWIN. Connections are established via dial-up or telnet on port 23, as well as RLOGIN on port 513 (I think), Finger, Gopher, Web interface, IRC, NNTP, Mail server (port 110 and 25), and a few other services. It can also run on Win32 and Linux. And it's still supported as of today.