Author Topic: PLA Book - The Complete 'Zine Collection  (Read 5092 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
PLA Book - The Complete 'Zine Collection
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:39:35 AM »
I thought it'd be cool to take all of the old issues of the PLA 'zine and turn them into an ebook for my Kindle, so I've been working on that this past week and it's sort of done.  I just need to put some finishing touches on it.  My biggest delay has been creating a table of contents, which is a huge pain in the ass on Microsoft Word.  It was a huge pain in the ass with the original PLA book too, when I was using Pages for Mac.  Maybe I'm just stupid. 

After I made that cover, I figured what the hell, I should just make this a real book too.  Mostly just because I want one for myself.  So I quit working on the e-book version and started reformatting the whole thing for a physical book format.  The finished product is a 6 x 9 book (slightly larger than the first PLA book) and it's 825 pages.  Last night I finished it up and made a front and back cover for it, uploaded it to the printing company and ordered a proof.  Proofs usually take 2 - 3 weeks to arrive.  I've gotten pretty good at spotting problems before I order the proof, so I don't foresee any problems happening when it arrives.  This means that you'll probably be able to order this book in less than a month.

This book is mostly unedited from the original PLA 'zine material.  I've left in all the original phone numbers and personal information and everything else.  It's all reformatted, of course, so it looks like a book.  The only things I took out of the book were 3 articles from Dr. Hate's unauthorized #099 issue.  He had a beastiality FAQ, some WWF gaming guide and a ton of unix command line stuff.  Hopefully you guys won't miss that stuff too much.  The rest of the issues are all there, though.

The good news is that I'm selling this book at zero profit.  I don't feel right about making any money from this since a big portion of the stuff inside is written by other people, sometimes without their permission.  Really I don't even know if I'm legally allowed to sell some of the stuff in there, like all of the newspaper articles that I copy/pasted from the web.  The e-book version will be completely free.

The bad news is that an 825 page book is still really expensive.  I forget the exact amount, but it was around $22.50 plus shipping.  I knew it would be pricey, but I didn't think it'd be that much.  I swear I'm not making a penny from it, though!  That's the cheapest they'll allow me to sell it for.

I will post a link in this thread as soon as it's available!  Expect the Kindle and PDF versions before this week ends.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
Re: PLA Book - The Complete 'Zine Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
sweet
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
now where am i supposed to get information about beastiality?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »
now where am i supposed to get information about beastiality?

I'll have to make a 3rd PLA book that's nothing but beastiality FAQs.

I really hate that I didn't take Dr. Hate's issue more seriously.  I should have chopped that stupid stuff out of it and just turned it into a regular issue.  If those phone call transcripts of his weren't so damned funny, I would just pretend that #099 never existed.  Those stupid beastiality FAQs got phonelosers.org banned from the Adsense network.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:45:45 AM »
http://www.phonelosers.org/book/download/

That's the link to download a few different file types of the PLA zines, including Kindle and PDF.  Let me know if there are any file types that I should hurry and convert this into for you.  Or if you want to do it yourself and send it to me, that would be awesome.

Also on that page are download links for the first PLA book, which is officially free now.  Share copies with as many people as you want, put it on torrents, and print out copies and sell them to your friends.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »
https://www.createspace.com/3711326 is the page to order a hard copy of the book.  The price is $13.93.  I paid $40 extra to make the price cheaper and I'm keeping it out of the Amazon store to make it another $4 cheaper.  Go buy it!

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:43 PM »
Thursday I will! AND THAT, GOOD SIR, IS A PROMISE!

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »
Wait wait wait wait. Do I get a stamped book if I buy this one? Is it within your ability to stamp a book for me? In case you don't get it, I want a stamp in my book. INK IS HOW I MEASURE WORTH.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »
Sorry, no stamps!  I'm not selling any myself.  You'll have to bring them to HOPE next year and I'll stamp them with a pink unicorn stamp.

Offline Q_

• PR rat-bastard
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-7
  • Keep hands and Feet Inside the booth at all times
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
I WANT THAT BOOK SOOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Just shut up, Shut up now."
-{{<Q>}}

Offline Legion303

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-4
  • I make lockpicks
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
My book arrived late last week and I thought I'd give it a quick review:

"The Complete 'Zine Collection" can best be described as big. It has around 800 pages, which are covered with assorted words. I will probably enjoy the same material I already enjoyed in a different format 15 years ago, much like the music and movies I'm forced to buy again and again. This puts RBCP in the same league as those slick business fatcats who want to sue your grandma. I rate this book 5 ANSI dongs out of 5.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:20:57 AM by Legion303 »