Author Topic: Wiring a payphone to cell phone  (Read 7817 times)

Offline WeeBo

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • PhreakyMasochist
Re: Wiring a payphone to cell phone
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:40 AM »
Thanks guys, the basics are almost done, I can dial out, hang up reset redial, and you have to use a quarter to dial out, it won't work otherwise :) I still wanted it to use a coin. Although when you hang up you get the coin back, that way I figure you can reuse the same coin...cell bill is good enough My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself., but the wiring can be changed at any time.  The wiring is a horrendous mess the cell phone "umbilical  " cord is too damn long and I use masking tape everywhere, couldn't find electrical tape in my mess....but since it's all going to be inside...who cares :)

Right now I'm just taking a break from doing the headset, it's pissing me off, I can hear everything but can't record my voice.  And I hate splicing headphone wire, it's so brittle and coated in some resin.

I'll try to get some pics up soon. :)

EDIT update - I can hear and record with the handset hooked up to the handsfree on the cell.  Alas it's really quiet, I wonder if it's just not getting enough power, since when I was only hearing audio it was crisp and clear. HMMMM... Also damn Nokia for not following the standard 4pin 2.5mm jack pin out My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.

Update AGAIn - IT IS FINISHED!!! :) Video as soon as I finish doing a quick edit. :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:12:44 PM by WeeBo »

Offline WeeBo

• Newb
  • PhreakyMasochist
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
Rough clip of the finished product, well, still not together, but it'd be boring to see it without the innards exposed :)

I can make these for sale, you supply the payphone and cell phone :)  Most mobile payphone around.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5cOkETPqIU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/v5cOkETPqIU&rel=1</a>

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 10:14:10 PM »
nice... so the send button is wired to the coin mechinisim (sp?)

you set up a relay to the switch hook?

Offline WeeBo

• Newb
  • PhreakyMasochist
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 08:27:41 AM »
Yeah, I'll post some pics of the wiring, just trying to get them shrunk down and organized.
It was really quite dirty how I did it, the image is posted on bottom.  I used some flexible adhesive to mount wiring inside the coin separator.  Makes contact between the calling buttons,  if the change box was easier to get at I would have used the whole setup, but decided to go with KISS and keep it simple.   
The ringer isn't set up yet, the vibrator motor that I want to hook into on the board of the cell phone has melted connections (well it has melted connections now.... :S) they were really tiny, and I wanted to move on.  I just have to re clean the contacts and re solder.  I just didn't want that to hold me up.  But oh no worries, the relay and the ringing is coming, I can't leave unused bells like that in a phone :)

Edit - Issues with ringer - It need 90V...I am so not gonna get that out of a cell battery. I really don't want to attach any other source(external) of power....if I have to daisy chain 10 or 12 9v batteries I will My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself., there is room :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:41:33 AM by WeeBo »

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »
not sure if putting 9V batteries in a series would provide you with ringing current or not, since ringing current is 90VAC while putting 10 9V batteries in a series would give you 90VDC... it might work, just not sure...

Offline WeeBo

• Newb
  • PhreakyMasochist
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
I thought the phone itself converted DC coming in into AC for the ringer, being isolated it doesnt harm the other components in the phone.

I'll try it out, it doesn't hurt to try :)

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
the 90VAC ringing current is put on top of the -48VDC battery that is on the phone line to ring the bells... not sure how magicjack provides the current to ring a phone... but perhaps if your 10x9V battery does not work well you can try to figure out how a magicjack gets this accomplished - since a USB port only provides something like 5VDC... (although i am not sure if a magicjack would have enough current to ring real bells in a telephone or just an electronic ringer)

Offline WeeBo

• Newb
  • PhreakyMasochist
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
Well the 9V's were a dud, +1 for you -1 for me My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.

I'm thinking of just changing the relay on the bell ringer itself so it uses less voltage, might not be as loud and sound a little slow but damn it, I want it to work My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.

Appreciate all the feedback nyphone