Author Topic: Question About Stealing SSN# to Get Credit  (Read 2087 times)

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
Question About Stealing SSN# to Get Credit
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
First of all I want to state that I'm not looking for ideas about how to steal someone's info to get credit cards. There's plenty of techniques on other websites about this and I'm not interested in doing this anyway.

Here's a scenario: Roy Gerbil lives on 1337 Redbox Road in Roy, New Mexico. On the other side of the country lives a computer hacker wannabe whose name rhymes with Curtis Lee Jones.

Let's say that Jones stole Gerbil's SSN# to get about 6 credit cards in his name. He has the illegally procured cards sent to a fake address, let's 666 Libarry Street. He then maxes the cards out to purchase upgrades for his sophisticated central computer and to buy his wife some Prozac and PMS pills. (If you heard the prank call files you'll understand why she needs these pills.)

Naturally Jones doesn't intend to pay the credit cards when they come due. The card companies send him reminders about the past due bills. Presumably to the fake address Curtis set up. Eventually The card companies will turn the debt over to collection agencies.

Some time down the line the collections people will send notices to Roy at his New Mexico address.

The question is, how did they find where the supposed card applicant (Gerbil) lives? Why won't they send notices to Jones's address he set up for this fraud? I'm sure that info is on the credit card application and stored in the database of the card companies.

I was watching an Unsolved Mysteries segment on Youtube about identity theft and the victim got the past due notices. You would think the mail would go to the address the scammer used to get the cards in the first place.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Question About Stealing SSN# to Get Credit
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
At first, all of the collection notices will go to the scammer's address.  But once the creditors realize that Roy isn't going to pay and that they're not hearing from him, they'll start using their magical voodoo to pull up address reports and other information on him.  His social security number will reveal his current address in New Mexico and probably his real phone number, which is where they'll start focusing their collections at.  It may take a month or three, but the victim will always start getting the collection notices eventually.