Author Topic: Call forwarding/diverting without the telco  (Read 2224 times)

Offline sillywombat

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
Call forwarding/diverting without the telco
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:00:33 AM »
Hey PLA.

I've been running an experiment for several weeks in an effort to reduce my electronic footprint and increase my privacy/anonymity in my country (Australia). I'm not a tin-foil mad-hatter, I just don't agree with the ways in which Governments and corporations are mishandling and abusing the privacy of citizens. As part of my experiment, I wanted to reduce my trackability by replacing my Android smartphone with an anonymously purchased Nokia dumbphone.

I still need access to my existing phone number, though, so I thought there might be a way to leave my Android phone at my residential address and have incoming phone calls transferred to the new phone. AFAIK, call forwarding/call diverting isn't suitable for my experiment because it's handled by the telco, not the phone, and I don't want to create an identifiable relationship between my personal phone and the new private phone.

I researched developing an Android app that would transfer incoming calls, but I've read apps can't get the low-level access required for the voice channel. I initially imagined it to function like a network router... except without packet headers and more magic. A viable alternative is forwarding the incoming call over VoIP but I have no experience with VoIP, SIP, infrastructure, etc.

I'd enjoy your non-/technical feedback and suggestions :)

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
Re: Call forwarding/diverting without the telco
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
I did something similar a few months back using VOIP. I had a landline number that when called would hotdial my cellphone number. There may be an android app that could do this for you (as long as your Android had good internet connection) or I know there are some devices that let you hook up your cell phone to a normal landline handset and you could route it back that way.

http://www.phonelosers.com/index.php?topic=6955.msg59378#msg59378
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
Re: Call forwarding/diverting without the telco
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
what i am thinking is something like an Xlink bluetooth gateway http://www.myxlink.com/index.aspx
connected to the FXO port of a linksys 3102 then having incoming calls hotdial out on the 2102 over VoIP to the new phone...
outgoing calls you can call into the VoIP line then enter a code and dial out with the analog line.. which would be your cell phone..