Author Topic: NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls  (Read 7802 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:26:33 AM »
The National Security Agency has been secretly collecting the phone call records of tens of millions of Americans, using data provided by AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth, people with direct knowledge of the arrangement told USA TODAY.

The NSA program reaches into homes and businesses across the nation by amassing information about the calls of ordinary Americans — most of whom aren't suspected of any crime. This program does not involve the NSA listening to or recording conversations. But the spy agency is using the data to analyze calling patterns in an effort to detect terrorist activity, sources said in separate interviews.

"It's the largest database ever assembled in the world," said one person, who, like the others who agreed to talk about the NSA's activities, declined to be identified by name or affiliation. The agency's goal is "to create a database of every call ever made" within the nation's borders, this person added.

For the customers of these companies, it means that the government has detailed records of calls they made — across town or across the country — to family members, co-workers, business contacts and others.

Here's a few links about the subject:

NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls

NSA's Phone-Call Program Meets Mixed Reactions

Bush may have crossed the line by tracking every US phone call

z09

Re: NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 09:48:04 PM »
Good to hear they are keeping us safe.

I don't mind them looking at who I called.  As long as they arn't listening to me.

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:53:28 AM »
Wow good thing I don't really sell weed anymore... not really.  :-\

Offline JohnKerry

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +12/-45
  • how do you ask a man 2b the last man not married?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:15:35 PM »
The bush administration will do anything that the public will let them get away with in the name of national security.  It doesn't matter if it's constitutional or not.

Offline ljc

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-2
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »
Someone needs to call AT&T Corporate Security (what's the number?) and "report" this. It would be good for laughs!

Offline Illuminati

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-31
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 12:59:37 PM »
Yeah.....for security....right. ;)

Offline gabigabihey

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-7
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 08:47:36 PM »
i like to try to add the keywords such as osama to any phone conversation i have, just so i know someone may actually listen to me once in a while.  i used to work for an osama, so its not too difficult.
[

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:03:35 AM »
I don't talk about blowing shit up (most of the time), I don't talk about illegal things over the phone, I don't organize illegal transactions, etc. Naturally, then, I "shouldn't have anything to worry about" when it comes to supernazi Government stuff like this. But I instinctively feel like this is a bad thing. Anything that pushes us toward 1984, that I feel is a bad thing.

But what moral and logical grounds do we have to fight against this? If someone asked me to defend my standpoint against it, I wouldn't have anything to say. Does anyone here?
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Dr P4nyk

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 10:35:53 AM »
Well the standpoint is this.  If im not doing anything wrong then what should i have to worry about?  Well doesnt that take the rule of innocent until proven guilty out the window?  If we let them listen to us and record us without a court order then what will they do next?  Where does it stop?  And doesnt that undermine our whole system of checks and balances?  And i dont know the Canadian system so i cant really speak to that.

P4nyk

CountyKid

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 12:07:45 PM »
I don't talk about blowing shit up (most of the time), I don't talk about illegal things over the phone, I don't organize illegal transactions, etc. Naturally, then, I "shouldn't have anything to worry about" when it comes to supernazi Government stuff like this. But I instinctively feel like this is a bad thing. Anything that pushes us toward 1984, that I feel is a bad thing.

But what moral and logical grounds do we have to fight against this? If someone asked me to defend my standpoint against it, I wouldn't have anything to say. Does anyone here?

For me, it's about trust. I see it as, "the government" doesn't trust me. What I ask is, who is the government to question me? They do not have that right.

And I'm also a little tired of all the laws enacted that "protect us from ourselves". Who is the government to make that distinction?

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 06:30:19 AM »
The entire thing is only supposed to be targeting suspected terrorists anyway; international calls made to the US.  They can't listen to all 280 million of us + they're not trying to.  We're fine.

Since we are considered to be "in a time of war," Bush cites this as constitutional.  He has the temporary authority to pursue these means.  When this is officially over, this is supposed to end.  The power is given to him in Article 2, Section 2 in the Constitution.  http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A2Sec2.html   ...But like many government programs, we're afraid they won't know when to quit.  It's nigh impossible to downsize government.  Clinton's expansion of welfare is a great example... there's still some things left from FDR + WWII, like the Federal Housing Administration.

I hate hearing about dumbasses like McCain + Clinton talk about the Geneva conventions being upheld... only uniformed soldiers are under the Geneva conventions.  They should know that already.  If you don't represent a country you're not legit and should be treated as such.  Fuck human rights for terrorists, I think anyone who tries to kill others for no real reason has just forfeited their own life.

Before I get off my soapbox, I'd just like to say that I'm on neither side politically; just trying to be objective.

"People that enjoy politics and people that enjoy sausage should not see either being made"  - -Anon.

Offline MindRiot

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-2
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 06:52:56 AM »
Any way to get access to this dataabse??  hehehe Id have a field day 8)

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 08:24:44 AM »
Any way to get access to this dataabse??  hehehe Id have a field day 8)

Yes.  Hack the NSA.  Or the Gibson.  Or both, to be sure.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline Illuminati

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-31
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 10:25:52 AM »

I do. Its not that I have anything to hide, its an invasion of privacy. Its being innocent until proven guilty, like the constitution says, not the other way around.

As Benjamin Franklin once said:

"Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither and will lose both."

Offline Dr P4nyk

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 08:58:48 PM »
The entire thing is only supposed to be targeting suspected terrorists anyway; international calls made to the US.  They can't listen to all 280 million of us + they're not trying to.  We're fine.

Since we are considered to be "in a time of war," Bush cites this as constitutional.  He has the temporary authority to pursue these means.  When this is officially over, this is supposed to end.  The power is given to him in Article 2, Section 2 in the Constitution.  http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A2Sec2.html   ...But like many government programs, we're afraid they won't know when to quit.  It's nigh impossible to downsize government.  Clinton's expansion of welfare is a great example... there's still some things left from FDR + WWII, like the Federal Housing Administration.

I hate hearing about dumbasses like McCain + Clinton talk about the Geneva conventions being upheld... only uniformed soldiers are under the Geneva conventions.  They should know that already.  If you don't represent a country you're not legit and should be treated as such.  Fuck human rights for terrorists, I think anyone who tries to kill others for no real reason has just forfeited their own life.

Before I get off my soapbox, I'd just like to say that I'm on neither side politically; just trying to be objective.

"People that enjoy politics and people that enjoy sausage should not see either being made"  - -Anon.

And who defines what a terrorist is?  He is given the temporary authority to pursue anything by and with consent of the senate.  It is all about checks and balances even in time of war.  Geneva convetions apply to any victim of an armed conflict.  Last i checked we are involved in an armed conflict.  And just in case you forgot, the people who started the revolution in this country killed others because they didnt want to pay taxes.

P4nyk