Author Topic: PLA: The Book  (Read 37216 times)

Offline GreyFox

• [greyfox]
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-7
  • Nothing Concept ain't nothin' to mess with
    • Nothing Concept
PLA: The Book
« on: May 22, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »
I just finished reading PLA: The Book (located here) and I really like it.  RBCP, have you considered writing some more?  Maybe publishing?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 12:05:53 PM by rbcp »
Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: PLA: The Book
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 04:28:09 PM »
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!  I pretty much scrapped that project.  There's some more written on it that I never put on the page which maybe I'll stick up there one of these days.  Or maybe I'll actually finish the entire thing someday.  As of now I don't have plans to.

I did start another book project, though, and it's nearly completed.  It's more in short story format and includes many of the old PLA issues, stuff from phonelosers.org and stuff from my homepage.  I have a few different published friends now who seem willing enough to help me get it published one way or another.  And if none of that pans out, I'll take the Mentally Incontinent route and self publish it.

CountyKid

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:07:06 PM »
I demand to have PLA: The Book (Version by CountyKid) somewhere in the book. Maybe in the foreword. Or possibly as part of a chapter.

Okay fine, if I can't get that. Then a Thank You in the thank you's section.

Offline JohnKerry

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +12/-45
  • how do you ask a man 2b the last man not married?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »
There were some guys on the bridge a while back who were going to write a book on the phreaking community.  I filled them in.  I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Offline Altalp

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +244/-20
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 01:43:03 PM »
There were some guys on the bridge a while back who were going to write a book on the phreaking community.  I filled them in.  I don't know if anything ever came of it.

I remember that... I think they were the fuzz.  OK maybe not the fuzz  but they were really weird.. weirder than the normal weirdos that hang out on the bridge.

Offline BillCancer

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-4
  • All you see is ... crime in the source code
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »
def gonna need to read that sometime. u should publish that sometime

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »
Is there any chance you could possibly upload them some where in a zip file so those of us with a genuine interest can have a read? Because I'd download it and take up precious bandwidth on your server just to show my gratitude.

Rather than hijack the "what are you reading" thread, I'm going to post this here.  I'm really good at bringing up old threads today.  I've been putting more effort into the book thing lately.  I know I've been saying "it's coming soon" for a few years now, but I think I really mean it this time.  I've been talking to some published friends and literary agents, getting advice and trying to move forward with all this.  I get obsessed with so many little projects of mine that I occasionally forget about the book thing.  But I really do need to make it happen soon, before books become obsolete.

It looks like the last time I updated this thread, I said that I'd scrapped the story idea based on that chapter that I'd put up.  Instead I worked on a book of short stories, all based on PLA issues, my homepage and other phonelosers.org things.  That version is pretty much done but I don't really like it.  So I'm moving in the other direction now, taking those chapters and fitting them around a story based on that first chapter.  In my opinion it's working out pretty good even though I think I'm horrible at writing actual stories.

The URL to keep an eye on is this one:

http://www.phonelosers.org/book/

I'd rather not send anyone all of the unfinished chapters, but I do promise to try and throw up another chapter or some other kind of information on there soon.  If I don't, feel free to reply to this thread and bug the hell out of me about it.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:55:09 AM »
If you do make an honest effort and actually get your works published, I'll buy the book and spread it around. I'll be that prick who drops the name of an unknown author of an unknown book in the middle of the debates of Harry Potter versus Star Wars thread.

'cause, let's admit it; what you wrote for that first chapter/short story/introduction did catch a lot of our attentions. Now while I'm watching trev's videos and doing math work for college, I'll be reading what you've got written.

This is my only day off this week. I need to do everything at once.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:46:59 AM by ApprenticePhreak »

Offline CerealKiller

• Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-30
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:18:45 AM »
Who's kyle?
You're Killing Me Smalls!

Offline Sidepocket

• Phone Phreaker Newbs Pwn
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-22
    • http://sidepocket_pro.livejournal.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:24:16 AM »
Logo is your friend!

I think what you need is some co-writers.

Oh and http://talk.hope.net/viewtopic.php?id=921

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »
Cactus
By Brad Carter

Once upon a time...

CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS CACTUS etc for 600 pages

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »
Just for ApprenticePhreak, another chapter is up and I updated the book page a little.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
ApprenticePhreak waits like a creepy fan in the shadows waiting for the next installment*

+20 to body odor
-25 to attracting the ladies

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline greenhippo33

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +8/-9
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »
Wow I just took the time to go read what you have posted of the book and I love it