Author Topic: Is it a crime, and if so would it be followed through for prosicution  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Cazamus

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-6
Hi, this is my first post because I figured only the people here would truley understand my problem. I have recently been recieveing more and more Nigerian scam mail that asks me to accept checks, I have found a way to deal with it, but my question is, would it be a crime? The scam is they send me a check, I cash the check keep ten percent, and then western union the rest of the money to them. Days later I would get screwed as the check would be a fake and the money I sent them would come from my account. Now I normally wouldnt care to respond to these letters, but I came up with a rather fun idea. Sending them my name as Billy Grahm (the FBI agent from Red Dragon) my home adress as the FBI's, and my home phone number as the FBI's. <I do want to rethink that part as I heard that the Dominican Republic charges ludicrus ammounts to call them, but I dont know a number that I could use that would keep the person on the line without them realising whats going on. Well the question is legality, how illegal this could possibly be, and would it just be a warning or would I get in a whole load of trouble.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
Re: Is it a crime, and if so would it be followed through for prosicution
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:37:28 AM »
impersonating an FBI agent isn't the best idea, Although you are not impersonating a "Real" officer. How do you know the FBI will have any idea what they say when they call, and they could just take the money, never call or contact and run  :-\
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline Dr P4nyk

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »
You would definately get in more trouble than the scammer.

P4nyk

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:09:39 PM »
Just send the check to your own house.  It'd be cool to have a collection of fraudulent checks with silly names on them.  I don't think you should involve the FBI.  Even if it's not illegal to send them fraudulent checks, I think they have enough work to do as it is.

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »
Trying to catch a nigerian scammer is pissing in a sea of piss. There are a LOT of them. They also live across the ocean. And who knows what kind of legal treaties the US has with Nigeria. If you attempted to catch one using the above method, this is what would happen:

1) You would lose money.

But the real question here is, what kind of cheque is it that would be sent to you? It wouldn't happen to have to route back to Nigeria to clear, would it? You might actually be able to get every penny the Nigerian has offered--it's a long shot, and you'd be committing a crime against the state which would probably require you to move and change identity to avoid prosecution of, but think about it. They offer a lot of money!
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »
Just have it sent to the local FBI field office under the name of 'Mike Hunt' or something else like that.

Even if you impersonated an FBI agent, they would have to catch the scammer just to get your email address. Then they would have to track you down through your email address.  Otherwise they won't connect you to the check. I don't see how they would catch the scammer because the check wouldn't be in his real name. What you will have accomplished is you wasted the scammer and the FBI's time. Nothing more.

Create a new hotmail account and do this from the library and then never use that email again if you're that paranoid. Then all they'll have is a probable county where you live (if they catch the scammer and care enough, which they won't and don't).

Woudn't it be more fun to keep telling the scammer to resend the check because you lost it, or the dog ate it? I always pretend to be really eager to help and slowly start making more and more unreasonable demands until they move on. They usually stop when I ask for naked pictures of their wife 'for collateral'
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline Cazamus

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-6
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 02:13:23 AM »
Alright lets pretend that I this happened, through Yahoo IM, that the person whom would have messaged me would be called WHATEVER. I only have like 2 more days of stalling before they realise that Im trying to pull a prank or something to that extent. The second big question is, how much of a crime would it be to get this person to call the Dominicun Republic? The person is trying get me to recruite friends to help the company. Id post the log but I think Rbcp would brain me.

Forgot to add, I would never say I wass an FBI agent to this person, I know that, it  is a crime because your impersinating said person, I would only give the adress and number of a place that I could or could not personally beleive be a way to contact me.... I mean I really want to do this prank but at the same time, I dont know if having them forward mail illegal mail to the FBI is a crime, I mean from my standpoint, wouldnt it be the same as telling a wanted man that I live at an unmarked police sting operation, and that he can hide there even though I would be in a sense impersinating where I live?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 06:07:33 PM by I-baLL »

Offline SkipSmith

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 10:58:41 PM »
Tell him you don't feel like typing in all your account information, so you're going to scan one of your bank statements as a JPEG and email it to him.  Then send him a picture of a guy fellating a dog or something.

Here's some more ideas:

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Offline Dr P4nyk

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 01:35:19 PM »
Tell him you don't feel like typing in all your account information, so you're going to scan one of your bank statements as a JPEG and email it to him.  Then send him a picture of a guy fellating a dog or something.

Here's some more ideas:

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

The problem with this is that you have to see a picture of a man fellating a dog.

P4nyk

Offline SkipSmith

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »

The problem with this is that you have to see a picture of a man fellating a dog.

P4nyk

By "problem" did you mean "advantage"?

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 12:49:54 AM »
whatever you do mate, don't you ever give any kind of real info, these people are dangerous and they do have connections all around I mean it, so be careful.
About the FBI nyeah, too complicated just use your local sheriff’s office besides I am sure that you can get the address of the FBI office online so they will realize though the police dept is not listed.
Imagine Sledge Hammer going to get his cheque and see that it bounced! That would be funny; well I think it would...