Author Topic: Does anyone here use Linux?  (Read 46598 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Re: Does anyone here use Linux?
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
Can't believe I never chimed in. I use Ubuntu 9.04 as my main distro for work (Vista for school bc WINE + Finale 2009 = fail). currently using gnome but I'm also an openbox fan. my studio computer uses Musix, and I used to use sidux on a low resource system I had. I used to use Puppy but got annoyed with the convoluted package management and other issues, and I've played around with most other major distros, but I mostly use Ubuntu because I don't want to take the time to back my computer up and transfer everything to a new OS.

Offline not a banana

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-3
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
I have a computer that my sister gave me, because her boyfriend got upset and threw it out the window because Windows was loading slowly or something. She gave it to me. Anyway, the cd-rom drive doesn't work and the hard drive makes a lot of noises, and the fan probably doesn't work in the back. I run some distro I found that runs off of USB drive called Rip Linux. Firefox crashes a lot if there's a lack of ram (because it runs in ram) but I can't install it to a hard drive.

Note that this is not the only computer that I use.

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »
I have a computer that my sister gave me, because her boyfriend got upset and threw it out the window because Windows was loading slowly or something. She gave it to me. Anyway, the cd-rom drive doesn't work and the hard drive makes a lot of noises, and the fan probably doesn't work in the back. I run some distro I found that runs off of USB drive called Rip Linux. Firefox crashes a lot if there's a lack of ram (because it runs in ram) but I can't install it to a hard drive.

To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »

Isn't Frog the best? I mean, c'mon!

Offline not a banana

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-3
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »
Yes, that is a neat image kind of related to my user name. I appreciate it.

Also I used to have a Pentium 133 mhz computer, and one time I installed Slackware on it. I downloaded it at the library onto floppy disks because I did not have internet at home at the time. I think it took me about three or four trips, because I did not own that many emptyfloppy disks.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 01:12:58 AM »
I have a Penitum II laptop behind me right now. Toshiba Satellite 4015CDT. 4GB hard drive. Floppy drive and CD rom. Figured seeing as we're reviving old threads with talks of old computers and old things and zombies, it'd be a perfect time for me to mention I have this. For no reason at all.

Offline Sudo

• Career Infosec Minion
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-0
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »
I use Linux about 25% of the time. I'm working in the IT field so I have to be able to work it and I have a few Linux certifications. I can't say I'm as fluid in it as I am on Server 2003 and Server 2008's command prompt, but I can set up a server, maintain it, packet sniff and all the intermediate things you'd have to do as an administrator
"If you give a hacker a new toy, the first thing he'll do is take it apart to figure out how it works."
-Jamie Zawinski

Offline bestialbub

• bubba
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
Ubuntu 11.04 on the laptop so my pc customers don't infect me, and so I can pretend to do android development.

Android 2.3 on my ol Sony x10.  4 Inches of android goodness. 
-rubberducky

Offline xyzqwa

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
  • Telnet User
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
I have a dual boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10.

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »

Banana Zombies, like this thread, just will not die...
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2012, 05:43:50 AM »
Linux Mint here.. windows only when i have to do music/video work
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:07 AM »
Linux Mint here.. windows only when i have to do music/video work

That was my problem with Linux.  I could use it for surfing the web and stuff, but when I needed to actually DO something, I had to switch back to Windows to do it.  After awhile, I stopped seeing the point of even using Linux when I always have to flip back and forth.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
Most of my daily work and non-work I can get done in Linux, and its a faster/more enjoyable experience overall..

The only things I'm not satisfied with Linux for are pro-music applications and video editing/ripping, and I don't mind booting over when I need to do that because its nice not having Windows get completely weighed down by background processes that build up, shitty registry, etc.. Its nice to keep the serious business isolated from daily usage. At this point, I even converted an older desktop into a windows/music station and I only use it for making music

Originally set the music desktop as a dual boot Ubuntu Studio/Windows, but even the studio distro software just can't compare to current commercial software, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:36:03 AM by markov »
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation