Author Topic: Who loves h4xing their cell phones?  (Read 5077 times)

Offline computerwiz_222

• PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-19
Who loves h4xing their cell phones?
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:58:28 PM »
I have a Motorola E815... I  mod it to death (software) I have a windows XP turning on gif at the beginning and the whole phone is skinned as Windows XP. Does anyone else do this? Seeing as how Phreaking is basically dead now...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 06:38:10 PM by rbcp »

Offline kcochran

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-21
Re: Who loves h4xing their cell phones?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:37:59 PM »
I've been playing around with my RAZR V3c from Verizon...

Haven't done much - changed the power-on sound, the power-off sound, and the mini-screen image (when the phone is flipped open).

I have yet to figure out the proper method of uploading ringtones, but I haven't played with it for more than about 20 minutes.

I need to change the power-on and power-off animated GIFs, and figure out how to upload my own wallpapers.

I dig the fact that the cable/power is a simple USB deal, and I can charge off of it.  BitPim is a pretty nifty program - I was able to easily put my contacts/phonebook on the phone, without having to dink with the phone keypad.

z09

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:58:59 PM »
Seeing as how Phreaking is basically dead now...

Not at all true.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »
I just got a USB cable for my Verizon LG a couple weeks ago.  So far all I've done is make my ringtone a redbox tone.  It's complete BS that I have to buy a cable for that.  The phone has a mini SD card that I can put mp3s on and listen to from the phone.  But they purposely won't let you transfer mp3s from the card to the phone, just so you're stuck buying their ringtones.  They crippled the bluetooth in the same way, so I can't use it to transfer files.

And yeah, phreaking will never die.  In fact, there's more to phreaking today than there ever was in the 70's, 80's or 90's.

Offline computerwiz_222

• PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-19
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:42:55 AM »
my bad by the way howardforums is great for cell phone stuff...

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:20:25 PM »
I just got a USB cable for my Verizon LG a couple weeks ago.  So far all I've done is make my ringtone a redbox tone.  It's complete BS that I have to buy a cable for that.  The phone has a mini SD card that I can put mp3s on and listen to from the phone.  But they purposely won't let you transfer mp3s from the card to the phone, just so you're stuck buying their ringtones.  They crippled the bluetooth in the same way, so I can't use it to transfer files.

And yeah, phreaking will never die.  In fact, there's more to phreaking today than there ever was in the 70's, 80's or 90's.

that's what you get for going with verizon. sprint nextel as well, cdma is super lame sauce.

get out of your contract by lieing, and then go cingular. motorola has so many programs that dont require any hacking, all you would have to buy is the data cable, which you can find on ebay for less..

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:10:22 AM »

A friend of mine has a Samsung camera-phone with barebones service from US Cellular. Although he can take pictures with the phone, he has no mechanism for getting the pics off the phone, unless he subscribes to their overpriced e-mail service and emails them to himself. The phone has no IR or USB port, and if it has bluetooth, that feature is apparently not enabled.

Are there 3rd-party adapters for removing this sort of data from such a phone?

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 03:34:32 PM »
A friend of mine has a Samsung camera-phone with barebones service from US Cellular. Although he can take pictures with the phone, he has no mechanism for getting the pics off the phone, unless he subscribes to their overpriced e-mail service and emails them to himself. The phone has no IR or USB port, and if it has bluetooth, that feature is apparently not enabled.Are there 3rd-party adapters for removing this sort of data from such a phone?

the phones with USB are actually just cords that go from the charger port into a USB, so depending on the phone model, which im trying to look up but us cellular is being the gayest website ever. i actually had to call and go through 10 menus to become a new customer to get this information.

SCH-a570 i found this one http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DATA-CABLE-W-SOFTWARE-FOR-SAMSUNG-SCH-A570-Series_W0QQitemZ9735920591QQcategoryZ35209QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SCH-a670
http://cell-phone-accessories-wholesale.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27258

and it supposedly comes with cell phone manager software, im sure there's ways to get downloaded ringtones up on that.

++karma?

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 07:34:49 AM »
Wow thanks! It never occurred to me that this information might be available on teh InterWeb...

No really... I just plussed your karma.

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
he has no mechanism for getting the pics off the phone
What do they let you do with them, then?  Look but don't touch?

I have a Samsung camera phone as well, seems OK... my plan's through my boss, she's senile so anything I do flies right under her radar... so I have corporate sponsorship.  They're connected to a group plan (Sprint) + she can't get the different numbers straight.  Her son runs up 30-page bills so she could give a fuck less what I do.

One day we might have USB ports in cars.

Offline afreak

• Area codes I have had numbers to: 604. 780, 778, 403, 250, 206, 360, 643
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +44/-36
  • Also known as "Alberta"
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 02:46:30 PM »
Most phones have serial or USB ports. My Motorola has a USB port, but it is a proprietary port, which requires their data cable (which I have). The LG I had before had a serial port, and it too was proprietary.

There is always a way to connect your computer to your phone. Search on eBay for your phone and you should be able to find a data cable.

(Neat. Post 1,000 for this forum)