Author Topic: Fake Phone Bills  (Read 8380 times)

Offline z09

• LD9967
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-31348
    • Homepage
Fake Phone Bills
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »
Heres a trick I'm sure you guys could pull off.  You know how when you get your phone bill a self addressed envelope is included, so you have a faster time paying?  How often do you guys check that the address is really your phone companies?  What I'm getting at is you could probably create fake phone bills and send them to people.  In order to do this you need:

1.  Their name, address, and phone number
2.  Their account number *you don't need the exact one, but it makes it a tad bit more realistic if you do
3.  A copy of their last phone bill *in order to see what it looks like, and so you have some numbers they usually call
4.  Thier last payment made *so you can bill them without them calling about their large phone bill

To get:

1.  Pick a phone number at random, do a CNAM query for the billing name, then do a property search of that billing name to get an address (or you can illegally get that information from the telephone company with a pretext)
2.  If you know the person you could probably come and visit them at their house.  I know many people have their bills just lying around, as the wate to accumulate the money to actually pay for it.  Find their account number on the bill and write it down.  You could also get this information illegally from the telephone company as well.
3.  Call the telephone company (impersonating them), and just ask to get a copy of the phone bill sent to another address.

Once you have your information:

1.  Try to reconstruct the phone bill on your computer as much as possible (you will only need to do this once out of all your scams)
2.  Be sure to include their account number
3.  In the detailed billing section, include numbers they called last month
4.  Be sure it adds up to their last ballance
5.  Create a self addressed envelope (that goes to your mail drop)

to clean things up:

1.  Call the telephone company and ask them when the billing cycle ends.  Just so they don't get suspisous, if they got a bill last week.
2.  Sign them up for "paper free billing", so they don't get a real phone bill in addition to yours
3.  If you want to be nice, you can call the phone company after the real bill gets sent out (and after you recive your payment); call the billing department and claim you are from Reciveable Management, and that "the costumer #account number#, made his payment on #date# in full."  So you don't ruin their credit or anything...

I know this sound complicated but it probably could be pulled off.  Anybody have enough balls to try it out?

Offline splynt0r

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +19/-10
  • Rip. Sample. Mash. Share
Re: Fake Phone Bills
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:36:09 AM »
ok , will you give me the pdf now?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Kind of like how these registar companies send me notices that phonelosers.org is past due and that I should send in payment to them. 

The only problem with your idea, LD, is that the person would still make the check out to the name of their phone (or whatever) company.  It's not like you could go cash the check.  And even if you could, then they would have your bank account number when they got the check back.  Or maybe there's another reason for doing this that I'm missing?

Offline z09

• LD9967
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-31348
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 12:04:08 PM »
Kind of like how these registar companies send me notices that phonelosers.org is past due and that I should send in payment to them. 

The only problem with your idea, LD, is that the person would still make the check out to the name of their phone (or whatever) company.  It's not like you could go cash the check.  And even if you could, then they would have your bank account number when they got the check back.  Or maybe there's another reason for doing this that I'm missing?

You have their bank account number, so you could forge another check to yourself.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 03:03:59 PM »

You have their bank account number, so you could forge another check to yourself.

Thats alot of work for not that much of a payoff. You're an idiot.

Offline PHISH-PHREAK

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-26
    • 954 Phone Losers
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 04:20:56 PM »
Can you make a .pdf of the envelope template?

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:19:52 PM »
There's not much point to spoofing a phone bill, but there's a real scam where you send out letters saying that your home mortgage has been sold to another company and here's the new address to send your payment. Mortgages really do get bought and sold so it's hard to tell that it's fake, plus lenders don't generally send bills for mortgages so the person doesn't find out until they get late payment notices a month or two later.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »
That's an all right scam, but the cheques would still be made out to the original company.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
This sounds like an excellent way to catch a felony charge.
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
That's an all right scam, but the cheques would still be made out to the original company.

No, they're made out to the new company that you specified in your letter. You open a bank account somewhere that can take deposits to that name.