Author Topic: Paperclips  (Read 4257 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Paperclips
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:49:13 PM »
Since paperclips are clearly the new phreaking (phreaking is almost dead, by the way) I've set up this forum for discussion.  I find it appalling that the BinRev forums don't even have any paperclip threads, let alone a whole section for them.  I will also be starting up a paperclip podcast soon, but I'll make another section for the podcast posts.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 05:46:13 PM by rbcp »

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
Re: Paperclips
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:19:34 AM »
I think you're really on to something here, clearly the next big trend.

Get in on it now, ride the wave and you'll be able to retire early, a very rich man!

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-8
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:19:43 PM »
rbcp, I personally don't think phreaking is really almost dead just yet.

People have just sort of given up on it, which I find sad. ESS didn't ruin blue boxing, CCIS did. I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to locate a "Tandem office" out there that still operates old equipment. Isn't MF signaling reverse compatible with CCIS? I can only assume it is, since when this technology was replaced years ago the phone system didn't suddenly go down ;D. Haha.

I'm no pro on this topic, but I really don't consider phreaking dead just yet. Maybe here in the US trunks utilizing old technology are less common (I doubt totally obsolete, just less common! If they have all been replaced and that is a known fact, someone please let me know), but what in other countries? How about their technology? Considering the fact that you can "route" your call a certain way so that you can actually end up crossing one of these trunks, what if-? Heh. Or am I just crazy?

There will always be a few neat "tricks" one can execute in any system. You just have to find them!

Oh yes, and regarding the paperclip phreaking tricks I've been hearing about lately, just to clear some things up... Don't try them! Sticking a paperclip in a telephone circuit (I believe these "tutorials" often instruct the person to stick it in the reciever) will not give you a free call, just a free shock! I've seen people who actually believe this bull. To my knowledge, they do not work. They do not have any reason to actually work, either. From an engineering point of view, and a logical point of view too (hehe), they will simply either break or damage the phone. Cracking an IC, or quite frankly any part of a circuit, with a paperclip can be anything but good. 'C mon people, you don't need to be an engineer to know that! It's common sense :).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:55:56 PM by Devilz212 »

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 05:42:40 AM »
Most telcos have converted their interoffice networks to fiber-optic. Maybe  blueboxing would work if you live in a 3rd-World country or something...

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:09:38 AM »
rbcp, I personally don't think phreaking is really almost dead just yet.

Thanks for the huge post, but I was kidding.  I thought everyone would catch that.

Offline Devilz212

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-8
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 12:14:15 PM »
I caught it. Just trying to make a point! Heh.

Colonel Panic, why would you have to live in this third world country you speak of? Why couldn't you just sort of... Route your call there? ;) It would cross the trunks either way.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 12:15:58 PM by Devilz212 »

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 06:42:04 AM »
Well sure, I suppose you could, but what advantage would be gained by that?

What kind of fascinating opportunities might exist within the phone system of, say, Nigeria, that could offer enough interest or entertainment to be worth the trouble? What might you learn about the phone system that you don't already know?

Offline Evelliathaan10111

• ill Phi$|-| j00r user/pass
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-7
  • i most certantly am NOT posting fom my nokia!
    • saveamerica
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
wat about people who already dont know about phones*cough*me*cough*cooldnt they learn sumthing new? As for this countrys fones i think if we try hard enuff we coold still find ways to phreak.Dont let them win! we are in charge!btw  this paperclip stuff is awesum cuz i just got a ton of em :)
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 11:03:59 AM »
Evelliathaan10111 is right guys!  Don't let `em win!  Try harder!  Paperclips > * (excepting pie)!!!one
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

• Newb
    • saveamerica
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 03:28:37 PM »
Silentneep is right!!!!!I am right!!!!!My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself. and paperclips > * (exept pie)and (exept hacking) its awesum to PhUxx sumthing up with paperclips but good ol hacking just feels great :) Also we cant give up on hacking or  phreaking ever!!!! that just wooldnt be fair cuz i just got into it not very long ago and i dont wanna miss out My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself..
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 05:09:20 AM »
Wow... you didn't just steal the spirit stick from me; you ripped it out as if it were my spine.

You win.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »
To be so fascinated by a small metal wire bent in half 3 times, you would think you would have to have OCD!
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

• Newb
    • saveamerica
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 09:23:58 AM »
Wow... you didn't just steal the spirit stick from me; you ripped it out as if it were my spine.

You win.

My ass has fallen off due to laughter.. Anytime friend. 8) My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself..