Author Topic: CC/SS#'s  (Read 5030 times)

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-28
CC/SS#'s
« on: March 20, 2008, 05:16:05 PM »
What are the repercusions of trying to, or obtaining someones credit card or social security number?

Careful Nod.  He's just a very clever spambot. 

Your moms a spambot.

Offline Lord Valmont Illamato

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-1210
Re: CC/SS#'s
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
prison
What?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »
Sounds like identity theft, which I think all states have laws against now.  Plus the theft of whatever you plan to steal with their credit card.  The company you order stolen things from will probably be from another state, so the feds can get involved.  It doesn't seem like a good idea to mess with credit cards.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »
Frank Abagnale's book ("Stealing Your Life") said that 90% or so of identity thieves get away with it. I wouldn't advise it though, unless you live off the grid with fake IDs already.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:32:28 PM »
It's pretty well covered already. I'm going to defer to Arbie here and say it's probably not worth it.

Offline shund

• Little Old Lady
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »
Not worth the risk, in my opinion. The odds may be in your favor as far as getting away with it, but the chance of stumbling across the wrong number (owned by someone who is pretty vigilant about their finances) is growing every year.

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I'd be paranoid for the next couple of years.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:47:02 AM »
Frank Abagnale's book ("Stealing Your Life") said that 90% or so of identity thieves get away with it. I wouldn't advise it though, unless you live off the grid with fake IDs already.

I still haven't read that book.  Is Frank Abagnale speaking from a current point of view or a 1960's point of view?  Either way, a 10% chance of getting caught is still pretty risky.

I did all my credit card stuff in the 1990's and it was a lot easier back then.  They didn't have as many security procedures related to credit cards.  And I bet law enforcement didn't have as many resources and knowledge (and the internet) back then either.  And I still got caught 3 times.

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »
i honestly am not planning to do anything.  i just wanted to know.  but now im deffinetly not planning on using anything.  are there any laws against possesing a social or credit card number?

Your moms a spambot.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »

I still haven't read that book.  Is Frank Abagnale speaking from a current point of view or a 1960's point of view?  Either way, a 10% chance of getting caught is still pretty risky.

I did all my credit card stuff in the 1990's and it was a lot easier back then.  They didn't have as many security procedures related to credit cards.  And I bet law enforcement didn't have as many resources and knowledge (and the internet) back then either.  And I still got caught 3 times.

It seemed pretty up to date (2001 I think), and he definitely stays up-to-date, seeing as he's a big shot security expert now. It's a great book actually.

If I was going to do something like that, I'd probably go all the way (make off with a few thousand IDs/CC#s undetected, fake my death/disappearance, and fly to a warm place somewhere with no extradition treaty). The PLA retirement plan?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »
I don't think it's illegal to just have card numbers and socials. What if they just dropped in your lap from the sky? If I mail my CC and social to someone on a postcard, can I have them arrested the next day?

Some of the methods that you'd use to get that information are surely illegal (lying over the phone, stealing paperwork or data). Using them for anything is fraud and is definitely illegal. But I bet it's not illegal to call someone up and ask, provided that you don't lie or deceive or ever use them for anything.

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 03:33:20 PM »
I don't think it's illegal to just have card numbers and socials. What if they just dropped in your lap from the sky? If I mail my CC and social to someone on a postcard, can I have them arrested the next day?

Some of the methods that you'd use to get that information are surely illegal (lying over the phone, stealing paperwork or data). Using them for anything is fraud and is definitely illegal. But I bet it's not illegal to call someone up and ask, provided that you don't lie or deceive or ever use them for anything.

actually, im pretty sure social engineering is legal, just immoral/unethical.  i would have to double check though...

Your moms a spambot.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »
Depends who you SE, and how. I'm pretty sure impersonating law enforcement/government is fraud, and SEing the telephone company is especially illegal thanks that new law Brad mentioned on PLA radio.

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »
Depends who you SE, and how. I'm pretty sure impersonating law enforcement/government is fraud, and SEing the telephone company is especially illegal thanks that new law Brad mentioned on PLA radio.

what about hollywood video?  The Blockbuster techniques work for them to, and some of the stores keep socials.

Your moms a spambot.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:12:46 PM »

Oh, I was somewhat wrong about that law.  Turns out the law was referring mostly to obtaining toll records on peoples' phone accounts.  I should stick to doing stupid things instead of trying to report real news.