Author Topic: Stupid People  (Read 1358 times)

Offline ErrorLoading

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +15/-4
    • ErrorLoading.Net
Stupid People
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:52:49 AM »
I was just explaining in another thread that I was the manager of a computer store for a few years and it reminded me of this.  You guys can appreciate this story.  Most everyday people just kind of look at me weird and don't get it as much.

One day I was working on computers in the back and this guy comes in just lividly pissed off and demands to speak to Adam immediately.  I explained to him that we did not have and Adam that works at our store, but asked if there was something I could help him with as I was the manager.  Well, as it turns out, Adam was hacking into his computer the previous night and we had just worked on it, so we must have put a back door into his computer when we worked on it so we could hack into it.  I explained to him that we would never do that to a customer's computer and that we don't even have an Adam that works with us nor that has ever worked with us.  I told him it was possible that he could have been hacked, but it wasn't by us.  I asked him why he thinks he had been hacked.  He said he had a virus alert and saw Adam's name was logged into Windows.  I told him he probably had some virus or spyware and that it is unlikely someone was actually hacking into his machine unless he immediately went home and installed all of the stupidest things he could find.  Which is actually highly possible.  I offered for him to bring it up and I'd look at it for him even though the problem probably wasn't ours.

He brought it up later that day and I hooked it up for him up front so we both could see what happened.  I have never laughed in the face of a customer, and this was quite the test.  I thankfully held it in until after he left.  I was stupified the rest of the day.  The Windows XP loading screen came up and bingo, two user accounts.  One was his, and the other was Mr. Adam Strator himself, or as I like to call him, Administrator.  Nonetheless the guy left still probably not understanding what the hell was going on.  Someone that beyond is impossible to help. 

Do any of you work in jobs where you have to deal with this crap as often as I do?  I work with elderly people a lot and their computers and I just about want to shoot myself whenever I see an old person walk in the door.  Tell me more!
"If I have enough then you may not have one."

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
Re: Stupid People
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:13:25 AM »
i'm a law student.  last year i was interning for the public defender.  i was talking to an alleged bank robber one day, and the following exchange ensued:

me: so, tell me your side of the story.
him: well, i went into the bank, demanded the money, and ran off with it.
[i ask a few more questions, and he basically confirms everything he has been charged with.]
him: but, i didn't commit any crime!
me: what?  how do you figure?
him: i deliberately didn't bring a weapon in there!  i demanded the money nicely!  i even said "have a good day" to the bank teller!
me: sir, that's why you're charged with robbery 2, and not robbery 1.

i loved that job at the PD's office.  in fact, i want to be a PD someday.  but...wow.  some people are just not bright.
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »
The PLA corps of lawyers wants YOU!
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline PEneoark

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:33:42 PM »
Alright dudes...I work for a telco in repair operations.  I talk to the stupidest people.  It always seems as if they have the lowest paid employee call...Their receptionist.  For example, I talked to this guy about his integrated T1.  He said that the internet portion was down.  I logged into the DSLAM, showed he was up.  I logged our Adtran CSU we have on site...He was up.  The Eth interface showed a MAC as well.  Logged into our Shasta, and saw traffic coming from his connection.  I told him he had an issue on his end.  He went on and on how its our responsibility to make sure his business internet connection is up.  If you own a business, dont buy a piece or shit Trendnet router/switch, then complain to use that your internet connection is "down"  :)

Jay-D

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Alright dudes...I work for a telco in repair operations.  I talk to the stupidest people.  It always seems as if they have the lowest paid employee call...Their receptionist.  For example, I talked to this guy about his integrated T1.  He said that the internet portion was down.  I logged into the DSLAM, showed he was up.  I logged our Adtran CSU we have on site...He was up.  The Eth interface showed a MAC as well.  Logged into our Shasta, and saw traffic coming from his connection.  I told him he had an issue on his end.  He went on and on how its our responsibility to make sure his business internet connection is up.  If you own a business, dont buy a piece or shit Trendnet router/switch, then complain to use that your internet connection is "down"  :)

we have alot in common dude. I did all kinds of shit for an ILEC. POTS repair call handling, DSL Maintenance Ops, sales & service (that job sucked dick), POTS screening, RCMAC, yadda yadda yadda. I don't miss the telco industry anymore though. I make much more caek now and I'm free.