Author Topic: Ubuntu-Broadcom Driver HELP!  (Read 1732 times)

Offline XOXKittenXOX

• T3H Kitt3h
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-15
Ubuntu-Broadcom Driver HELP!
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
God, I have been researching, reading, downloading, EVERYTHING, for days now. I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop computer that has a Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One54g] 802.11g (rev 02) Wireless adapter inside of it. NOW. THE ISSUE: It doesn't work. I've tried ndiswrapper, which, I cannot find how to install the damn thing, I've tried multiple Ubuntu Help forums, so PLEASE, do not send me there. I just want one person to explain this in LAYMANS TERMS!!!

Offline InternetJunky

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +7/-2
Re: Ubuntu-Broadcom Driver HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
Same problem here, but I'm sure ndiswrapper will work out for me once I have time to try and install it.Try the ubuntu forums again and ndiswrapper forums for some help.If I cant figure it out then Ill end up paying someone to do it for me.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:18:50 PM by InternetJunky »

Offline XOXKittenXOX

• T3H Kitt3h
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-15
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:18:34 PM »
I HAVE tried those forums. I don't even know where to download the right ndiswrapper from because for some reason, it gives me a bunch of junk whenever I download it and try to open it. Its so strange.

Offline InternetJunky

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +7/-2
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »
Well ndiswrapper is whats going to end up working for your wireless problem because everyone on the ubuntu forums pointed me in that direction.I remember there being a sticky for ubuntu users so you should read that, but I cant download it now because my internet doesn't work for some reason when I plug it into the router(only this computer has this problem) so Ill have to wait until I can go to the library or something, Ill tell you if I end up getting it to work.

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »
This worked for some guy.

Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

Then search for BCM43xx-fwcutter and install it (right click, and select Mark for installation. then press apply).

During installation, it will ask to fetch the appropriate drivers. Allow it to fetch the drivers.

After the installation is complete, go to System > Administration > Network. Then go to wireless properties and select your wireless network.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline evilgold

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-1
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 08:04:05 PM »
I could be mistaken here because i dont have an ubuntu system setup right now, but im pretty sure the bcm43xx driver is old. The new driver is call b43, which is what you should use. It should already be compiled as a module in the ubuntu kernel, you need only add the firmware.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
sudo modprobe b43

the first command should grab the program and ask you if you want to download and extract the firmware (say yes).  You may also need to remove the ndiswrapper or bcm43xx drivers by running

Code: [Select]
sudo rmmod bcm43xx
 sudo rmmod ndiswrapper

ndiswrapper is for wireless cards that have no linux drivers available. Most cards do work under linux they just need firmware or other non-free additions to work.