Author Topic: Movies music release dates  (Read 4067 times)

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
Movies music release dates
« on: June 30, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »
Why are all DVDs, CD's and video games always released on a Tuesday?

Why not Wednesday or Thursday? Or even a Saturday?

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Movies music release dates
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
And while you're at it, why are movies released in the theater on Friday?  And why sometimes Wednesday?

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
I too would like to know this
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline orochiko

• CTFD!
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-5
  • それは非常に美しい
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
Perhaps the movies are always released on Fridays because alot of people have Friday afternoon off, and its a nice treat at the end of the week.

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
Why are all DVDs, CD's and video games always released on a Tuesday?

Why not Wednesday or Thursday? Or even a Saturday?

MIB

Dear MIB,

Some of this I knew back from my Music Biz days... but I am going to plagiarize anyway from what I found online cause I'm lazy like that:

• Billboard Magazine, the music industry's leading publication, is released on Wednesdays. Releasing a recording on Tuesday gives it a full seven
    days to achieve a top chart position in the following week's Billboard.
  • The "street date" became Tuesday in the mid-90's, when media distributors (movies, video, music etc) consolidated the previously wild street dates to cut shipping and tighten on early releases. 
  • Soundscan releases sales figures on Monday.
  • Same day so consumers know when to look for new releases.
  • If a Tuesday release is selling well, there still is time to order
    more before the weekend.
  • Shipments of music usually begin to arrive in stores on Thursday. That gives the stores time to coordinate special midnight sales on Monday evening, as opposed to Sunday, which is usually a shorter work day..

Out of all those, I am going to say it's probably a combination of the above minus any shred of concern for consumers.  Operationally, it just makes sense to stay consistent.  Keeps things cheaper and more predictable for everyone.

Love,
jammie

PS - I think it's because Tuesdays are boring.  You have Sunday (Day of the Lord), Monday (Football), Tuesday (Boredom), Wednesday (Whip 'Em Out), Thursday (Thirsty), Fridays (End of Week), Saturday (Par-tay).  Bored people buy more stuff.

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:01:59 PM »
And while you're at it, why are movies released in the theater on Friday?  And why sometimes Wednesday?

Dear rbcp,

Dammit rbcp, you're supposed to start a new thread.

Anyway, for Wednesdays:
Its not uncommon for Wednesday releases when A) its a much hyped film B) it's R rated so they want to get it in theaters when adults will see it since the weekends are usually bombarded by kids and C) if another big film is opening that week and they want to pick up some early revenue.

For Fridays:
Previously, friday used to be weekly pay-day. saturday and sunday were off days and people would have time and money to spend.

Now... the box office is calculated for weekends as opposed to entire weeks (like CDs).  I think the releasing early is so that they get a little boost to that weekend tally.  It's kind of cheating.

I'd be funnier(y) if I weren't so tired.

Happy 4th!
Love,
jammie

Offline Lestan Gregor

• PLA Bitch
  • 1337 13V3L: +64/-30
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:47:35 AM »
Perhaps the movies are always released on Fridays because alot of people have Friday afternoon off, and its a nice treat at the end of the week.

you're not jammie

Offline DEADFOOL

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:18:31 AM »
Additionally, and yet unrelated... as Jammie mentioned, Billboard magazine just about every other publication (other than dailies) I am aware of (granted my awareness factor is not that impressive) are released on Wednesday. 
Alot of parenthesis there, I know.  But the point remaining, my Spider-man comics and Playboy issues come on on Wednesday, so there it is.  I think if everything came out on the same day it would be mass chaos!  Chaos! I tell you!  Chaos!  Mass!  Like at church and stuff!  But chaos!  Alot of it!  you know, like when you have those pews filed with people praying, but instead it would be chaos in the pews!
Chaos!

Did this have anything to do with the current thread?  I don't know, but you read it, so I got a nickle.

???
Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong!