Author Topic: Music sharing meet up parties?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline crusher8576

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-3
Music sharing meet up parties?
« on: August 25, 2008, 03:01:21 PM »
A friend was telling me that him and a bunch of other people in the area all meet up at these "parties" with their external hard drives and copy everyone elses music onto their own.  He said he got about 80k songs.  Sounds pretty interesting.  Anyone else ever done something similar to this?

Not to mention that you're getting a shit ton of music with virtually 0 chance of getting caught. (Unless the RIAA raids the party or something.)

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Re: Music sharing meet up parties?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
Have these people never heard of the internet? I guess maybe if you were all friends who shared tastes then it could be cool because you'd encounter new music, but that would be the goal, not getting thousands of OMG UNTRACEABLE WAREZ.

Who actually worries about getting caught by the RIAA anyway, wasn't that a big deal back in the nineties? ONCE in over a decade of pirating software, pr0n, movies and music, I finally got an email from my ISP bitching about how my brother had downloaded Knocked Up and made Time Warner or whoever it was all butthurt and I had to make it better or they wouldn't let me use their internet service anymore (another point, who actually PAYS for internet anymore? I can get like six unsecured networks practically anywhere in the city now it seems). So I sent them an email about how it was my son that did that and I kicked his ass for it and now we're all cool.

Actually come to think about it I thought the incident was so stupid I posted the whole thing here already.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »
One time I copied all the contents on my C drive to Kazaa. Man, those were some great times.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:52:55 PM »
I used to rename star trek episodes 'granny gangbang 98' and shit like that just to see the annoyed PMs from perverts.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
Reminds me of the local meetups we used to have in the BBSing days to trade/copy commercial software.  All we had to copy anything on were 3.5" disks.  It made sense to have copying parties back then.  Today, not so much. 

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:16:09 PM »
Don't people stay up to date on their IP and host-address deny lists for their p2p clients so they don't have to resort to "sharing" parties?

Besides, I think the consequences of getting busted at one of those would be worse than sharing on the Interwebs. In person, you'd almost certainly get arrested, and there'd probably be some big newspaper story about it because the RIAA spends ludicrous amounts of money trying to convince everyone they're not thieving bastards.