Author Topic: Mojave Phone Booth  (Read 2322 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Mojave Phone Booth
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »
If you've never heard of the Mojave Phone Booth, then you should visit this site to read about it:

http://deuceofclubs.com/moj/mojave.htm

It's a pretty entertaining story about some people obsessed with a phone booth that was in the middle of a desert.  I used to call the booth occasionally and I never reached anyone, but I did get a busy signal once.  I tried to get the phone company to forward the booth's calls to the PLA voice bridge once, but failed.  And when the pay phone was taken down, I tried to get Pacific Bell to let me have the number with just a voicemail attached to it.  They said they couldn't do that at the time.  I always hoped to get a busy signal again because I was going to emergency interrupt the line, but the phone was taken out before that happened.

The reason I'm making this thread is because I just noticed that Netflix has a new movie up called Mojave Phone Booth which has this description:

The lives of four strangers -- all at a turning point -- intersect when they're drawn to a mystical phone booth in the middle of the Mojave Desert in this episodic tale directed by John Putch. After reading about the booth on the Internet, the divergent Las Vegas residents (Annabeth Gish, Tinarie Van Wyk-Loots, Christine Elise and Robert Romanus) camp out at the site hoping to get the most important call of their lives.

It's got 7 stars on imdb and won 7 awards at various film festivals.  So there's a chance it might not suck.  The release date says November 11th, but it seems like I was able to put it on my Netflix box today.  I'm going to try and watch it tonight.

Here's the imdb.com page for it and here's the Netflix page.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
Re: Mojave Phone Booth
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:28:21 PM »
I have no idea who any of those actors are and question what a movie of that scale could even be about with the given premise. Maybe you're right and it doesn't suck and we'll be treated to a movie that rocks pretty hard, much like the first Matrix. Then again this could be a sappy hum-drum shitfest based around a phone booth and the call of their lives being a phone call from a sailor that survived World War I only to find out he was frozen in stasis and the love of his left had died off many years before he thawed.

Just a chance. I'll be downloading it illegally within the next week or two to see what it's about though.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:40:05 PM »
It's got Officer Mahoney from Police Academy in it.  You can't go wrong with him!

Offline SpaceBison

• Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »
Is that the same one that was on Art Bell several years back? Some guy had a call in radio program using a phone booth out in the middle of the desert and a low power short wave transmitter.

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline Sidepocket

• Phone Phreaker Newbs Pwn
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-22
    • http://sidepocket_pro.livejournal.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »
 ???

:o

I just got an idea of a place to put a new Asterisk box with PLA Domination.  ;D

Offline Lestan Gregor

• PLA Bitch
  • 1337 13V3L: +64/-30
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
Is that the same one that was on Art Bell several years back? Some guy had a call in radio program using a phone booth out in the middle of the desert and a low power short wave transmitter.

you might have heard phil hendrie doing a parody of Art Bell...did the guy get shot at the end?

Offline SpaceBison

• 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »
No, this guy went by the name "Desert Dan", he was one of Art Bell's guests back before his "retirement". I'd say around 1999 or so. Dan was also on Coast to Coast when Mike Siegel was at the reins. But Mike was being a chodey that night.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:11:55 PM by SpaceBison »

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline Lestan Gregor

• PLA Bitch
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »
haha. i remember desert dan...and yes i think you're right about the phone booth...

i hated mike....

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
I watched the movie.  The booth played a very small role in it.  Other than that, it was your standard independent film.  Not too bad, but nothing I ever want to watch again.

Offline legend813

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +90/-16
  • OMFG HACKED BY MURD0C.NET!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »

you might have heard phil hendrie doing a parody of Art Bell...did the guy get shot at the end?

That was General Johnson Jameson attempting to sneak into Area 51.

Offline Lestan Gregor

• PLA Bitch
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
"General Jameson, are you sure its the aliens that are interefering with your phone?"

"Absolutely Art"

"It couldent be a bunch of kids with ham radios?"

"No Art, its the aliens. "