Author Topic: "SyFy" (read SciFi) channel is a douche  (Read 2285 times)

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
"SyFy" (read SciFi) channel is a douche
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/sci_fi_channel_aims_to_shed_ge.php

Normally there isn't a care in my mind about what T.V. or its large headed egotistical corporate honchos think, normally. There are times when I shrug shoulders and say it sucks that a station is changing the way it does things to be more politically correct, fair, edgy, wild. Almost never bothers me. Most of the time the T.V. is off in my house unless either of us want to watch a movie to play a video game. We're paying for cable, but never use it. Just keep it because it gives us about a 20 dollar break if we do the telephone, T.V., and internet all in one.

Turns out that the SciFi channel, the only channel I'd ever go to check out if starved that heavily for entertainment, is recently changing its name to SyFy in order to step away from the geek crowd. According to them “It made us feel much cooler, much more cutting-edge, much more hip, which was kind of bang-on what we wanted to achieve communication-wise.” Groovy. You're cooler now.

With a meager fist raised to the sky and cursing the ground I walked; I was only able to scream go fuck yourself at the top of my lungs after I sat back down in my living room. As a kid if I didn't have my face buried in a book, glued to a computer screen, in a bundle of wires or playing a video game, I was usually watch the SciFi channel. Held my attention, gave me something to think about after watching some pseudo silly movie about aliens or some other form of creature.

The "geek" crowd isn't their bang any more. They want to be hip, awesome, where the cool kids are. Essentially shedding off fans of a ton of the Science Fiction shows they'd have on there. Not that they've really had anything really science fiction on there in quite some time.

All that can be said is fuck you you fucking fucks. This just gives me one more reason to not turn the T.V. on any more.

Maybe I need a live journal.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:30:09 AM by rbcp »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: "SyFy" (read SciFi) channel is a douche
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »
I still hate them for fucking up Sliders.  I love not having cable.

Offline sigflup

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +8/-7
    • pants
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
Here's my rendition of their president. I don't really watch tv but, how in the hell? Wants to drop the geek crowed- just who do you think you are?
:)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:08:18 PM by sigflup »

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:18:02 PM »
That rendition probably represents 98% of all the network heads.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
I still hate them for fucking up Mystery Science Theater 3000.  I love not having cable.