Author Topic: Hacker Groups Book  (Read 2015 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Hacker Groups Book
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
I just noticed this book on Amazon with the crazy-long title of Hacker Groups: Phrozen Crew, Chaos Computer Club, Milw0rm, Phone Losers of America, Digital Dawgpound, the Humble Guys

Anyone ever heard of this?  What are they saying about us??  I'm scared.  Here's the book description from Amazon:

Purchase includes free access to book updates online and a free trial membership in the publisher's book club where you can select from more than a million books without charge. Chapters: Phrozen Crew, Chaos Computer Club, Milw0rm, Phone Losers of America, Digital Dawgpound, the Humble Guys, Network Crack Program Hacker Group, Hacktivismo, Infonomicon, Pumping Station One, Level Seven, Nyc Resistor, the 414s, Teso, Advanced Persistent Threat, Honker Union, Helith, Globalhell, Tog, Titan Rain, Hackerdojo, Hackweiser, Hellcode Research, Noisebridge, Team Elite, P.h.i.r.m., Port7alliance, Kiberpipa, Metalab, Moonlight Maze, Hacker Group, Uxu, Securax, Hack Canada, Red Hacker Alliance, W00w00, S0ftpj, Hacp, Shmoo Group. Excerpt: The "Advanced Persistent Threat " (APT ) refers to advanced and normally clandestine means to gain continual, persistent intelligence on an individual, or group of individuals such as a foreign nation state government. While the APT is more commonly thought of as being an article of the computer era, it has existed since the realization of the benefits of intelligence gathering and long before the invention of the computer or internet.In the computer security community, it is used to specifically refer to a sub-set of such threats, in a long-term pattern of targeted sophisticated hacking attacks aimed at governments, companies and political activists, and by extension, also to refer to the groups behind these attacks. A common misconception associated with the APT relates to its specificity to the targeting of Western governments. While examples of technological APT's against Western governments may be more publicized, this is incorrect, and the technological ('cyber') APT has been used by actors in many nations as a means to gather intelligence on individuals, and groups of individuals of interest. Some of the groups involved in the APT have been alleged by numerous sources to be affiliated with, or agents of, nation-states . Definitions of...

Offline I-baLL

• OMG Mod
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-7
Re: Hacker Groups Book
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
I'm tempted to buy it just to see what it is. It's on B&N as well. It's weird especially since they mention some local Hackerspaces such as NYC Resistor (based out of, duh, NYC) and Pumping Station One which is based out of the Chicago area and, if memory serves correct, is only over a year old. The book might prove interesting or it might just be a printed version of those websites that have a shitload of keywords on them so that if you google for anything (such as a random phone number) the search result will bring you to an ad filled page.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:33:38 AM »
Someone on the BinRev forums says it's probably just a book full of the wikipedia pages on each group.  There's probably nothing original in the book.  That sounds about right, judging from the title and the description.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:49:39 PM »
i like this:
3 new from $14.13 1 used from $15.16

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »
It is probably just print-on-demand wiki articles. One company is selling thousand of these crazy books.

http://www.chrisrand.com/blog/index.php/2010/02/27/odd-tale-alphascript-publishing-betascript-publishing/
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline po2okemon

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »
If it was published in 2010 I wonder why they didn't include more recent groups