Author Topic: Missing money? SKEPTICAL!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
Missing money? SKEPTICAL!
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
So I received an instant message from my ex. Her mom found a site that apparently tells you places you didn't get cash from but they supposedly tried to send it out to your last known address. They don't appear to give out the exact amount of money owed, it appears to be a over a hundred or under a hundred statement.

Anyone heard of the site http://www.missingmoney.com/Main/Index.cfm ? I'll be calling the place that they say owes me money tomorrow and bothering their corporate section to see if this is true or not.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Missing money? SKEPTICAL!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
I've heard of sites like this and that they're for real.  I'd still be skeptical though.  I tried putting my name in, but it told me Oregon isn't a participating state.  The fact that it only supports certain states (and not very many of them) makes it seem legit.  But maybe that's just what they WANT me to think.

I put Richard Cardo in for Colorado and it says that Microsoft owes him under $100.  I should call and tell him since I happen to know that he really needs the money.  It gave me Richard's home address too, so it looks like this site might be good for getting docs. 

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »
The way these sites are supposed to work is through a particular State's treasurer or department of revenue. From that page you should be directed to the specific State agency's website, asked to fill out a form that you'll need to have notarized and send TO that State agency.

A good rule of thumb is if they lead you to a legitimate State Treasurer or DOR that has a mailing address you can independently verify, you're probably fine. If they try to get you to send your docs to a P.O. Box or the last known address of a Mr. Kurt Swindler, it may not be legit.
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
i had a similar site forwarded to me... but i believe that the site that was sent to me was a .gov site or something like that... i did not get much, i had about $30 that was owed to me by a phone company, and my father-in-law was owed a little over $100 from some insurance company.. if i find the link i will post it, but i think the link i got was for new york state only...

EDIT - ah... here it is.. https://ouf.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/ 
appears the link i have is for NY state only... but there should be other similar sites for other states...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:58:31 PM by nyphonejacks »