Author Topic: sleeping on the floor  (Read 4546 times)

Offline not a banana

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-3
  • Low-level employee
sleeping on the floor
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
I was thinking about getting rid of my bed when we move and just sleeping on the floor.
Is this a horrible idea? Using a sleeping bag?

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
Re: sleeping on the floor
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »
Sleeping on the floor isn't bad at all. You could always just get some kind of small mattress and put that on the floor instead of a full bed. Its actually more natural to sleep closer to the ground, and feels great once you get used to it.
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
Really getting that post count up, aren't you?

Offline not a banana

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-3
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:54:59 AM »
I come here for the intelligent answers to my questions, instead of what I would get from Yahoo! Answers.
Post count has nothing to do with it.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »
I come here for the intelligent answers to my questions, instead of what I would get from Yahoo! Answers.
Post count has nothing to do with it.

That's good. Because if you stop posting now, you'll have the post count that answers everything.

Offline macadamiaman

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »
some advice from my few years of sleeping on the floor--

- choose a cozy corner
- get some short furniture so you can keep certain things a little off the floor when you sleep (ie clock, wallet, small lamp). I used to use an old receiver that I'd sometimes tune to late-night AM before going to sleep.
- a futon mattress on the floor works well. In high school I actually just used a couple really thick down comforters for mattress (on a carpet)
-  sleeping bag is not a good idea - give yourself space to spread out at night... It can be really cozy if it's the sort of place that you can fall into. Don't make it a trap!

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
Sleeping on the floor is normal for many cultures, mang.

All you have to do is make sure that you are insulated from the floor, by a blanket or cushion or whatever. Otherwise you will catch a cold that won't get any better until you stop sleeping like that. I've heard that sleeping on cold surfaces, especially stone, can lead to bladder infections and enuresis (= pissing on yourself).

If something is causing the floor to be constantly cooled, like airflow underneath the room (ie mobile home or room over garage), or if you're right on the foundation, it will basically be a big heatsink, and your body will spend all of its energy trying to heat the world outside. That's what gives you the cold. If the bedding underneath you never seems to warm up, then you need more.

If you have a sleeping bag, you could try unfolding it and lying on top of that, with a comforter above you. But definitely don't sleep in the bag closed up. Your sweat will collect and that's never good.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline shai

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-2
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
I do a fair bit of traveling and swear by my Thermarest since you can't always count on there being an available couch. If you're into the DIY thing you can make a "squat mattress" out of a pair of pallets, some bubble wrap and packing tape...it's a lot more comfortable than it sounds, but it can be loud.
Early time machines were designed to leave you screaming on the end of a dinosaur's leash.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »
I do a fair bit of traveling and swear by my Thermarest since you can't always count on there being an available couch. If you're into the DIY thing you can make a "squat mattress" out of a pair of pallets, some bubble wrap and packing tape...it's a lot more comfortable than it sounds, but it can be loud.

You know, I can never get comfortable on an air mattress. And that's what that sounds like; only a lot more susceptible to popping accidentally.

Offline I-baLL

• OMG Mod
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-7
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
Yeah, I used to do this. An open sleeping bag is the best. Oh, also make sure the floor you're sleeping on is flat otherwise you'll get backpain. And cover yourself with a comforter and you're all set. If it gets cold wrap yourself up like a joint or a cigarrette or a french crepe in the comforter. On the feet end tuck the comforter under your feet like a burrito. Do not fold the blanket over yourself like a taco. A taco means it's all wrong. You want the burrito mummy look. The taco look just doesn't do it. You also need beans.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »
You also need beans.

I think this is true in any situation.
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline Spampy

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 01:09:55 PM »
I find the arrangements need to be exponentially less comfortable with the drunker I am when I avail myself to them.