Author Topic: People still use payphones  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
  • Low-level employee
People still use payphones
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
And I don't just mean drug dealers, homeless people, and us phreaks; some old lady with a European accent seriously just walked up to me at work and asked where the nearest payphone is.

So my question is, if people still use them, why are the telcos and COCOTS taking so many of them out?

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
Re: People still use payphones
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
I'm sure not that many people use them.. Probably not enough to justify the cost. I never see any being used in my city, and I can't even remember the last time anyone I was with used one

Pretty much everyone has a cellphone these days..
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »
I rarely see anyone using pay phones around here, and they've taken most of them out.  When I do see someone using one, I always wonder what they're up to.  What could possibly cause them to need to use a pay phone? 

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
Pretty much the only people I see using them are super poor... you gotta be pretty low on income to not be able to afford a phone, since you can get a prepaid for like $10 a month.  plus VOIP is cheap

I go long periods without a phone, but then I just reactive it when I need it, rather than do something like use a payphone..

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
I just use cricket. I get a cheap Android, pay a fair price for the abuse I put my phone through, and there's no contract. Because when you know you'll be a few days late with every payment just about because you're a jobless bum, you don't want any contracts attached to your cheap piece of crap.

Holy shit. Someone find me a job.

But in regards to pay phone use, there are only a handful scattered around within 20 miles of me. Mostly one at a gas station, or the occasional 7/11 may have one still. If it's functioning and in one piece, that's another story all together. Most of the time though the only people who use them tend to be fucked in the worst way possible. Cell has died, can't charge the battery, and the car broke down.

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:36 PM »
I once had to use one because I had lost my phone at the mall and had to call work to let them know I'd be late because I was busy waiting for the lost and found to open. I didn't have any quarters on me so I used my debit card through the operator, and PTS (the payphone company) charged me $15 for a local call that was all of two minutes.

I also attempted to use a payphone to call 911 to report a really bad brush fire on a day I left my phone at home, and the call went through, but the microphone was broke on the payphone and they couldn't hear me.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:09:12 AM »
There's still quite a few working payphones here, mostly all at gas stations.. but I've been checking and none of them seem to be owned by the phone company

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »
There's still quite a few working payphones here, mostly all at gas stations.. but I've been checking and none of them seem to be owned by the phone company

Centurylink still has a few where I live (still labeled Embarq), and those seem to be in better condition than the COCOTS phones. I think I've seen some Verizon phones in Sarasota. What's weird is when you see telco phones in areas where that phone company doesn't service, like Embarq phones in Sarasota, Verizon phones here, etc,

Offline adivan

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-4
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 06:02:45 AM »
Hahaha I am guilty as charged. I still use payphones especially when I call directory assistance service. It's cheaper I guess. When I was in the UK, they bloody charge a pound something for directory assistance service. I did not know there is a service such as free people search service online. Found the information I needed in a click.

Never will I call directory service again in the UK. I think here in the US, they charge you but not totally rip you off. Payphones are still good alternative especially when your cell is empty. And some use payphones just for the sake of making prank calls,like what I always do.  ;D